SSD is coming!

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

SSD is coming!

Post by Lyecdevf »

Flash drives have evolved to such a point that it is possible now to get a solid state drive that can replace your HD. As this video shows the ssd outperforms an ordinary HD:

At the moment they are still expensive but over time the price is going to fall. So what are your thoughts about it? Do you plan to replace your HD with the SSD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

I think thats pretty fucking cool
I would use them

yeah USB drives are going crazy, now they have majic jack free phone USB plugin, i seen a USB drive that you plugin and can get all of the tv channels and hi-def channels on your computer for free wirelessly, what is the maximum amount of USB drives you can run off of one usb port, something like 128?? (question from the A+ practice exam i was reading earlier) USB is great, im sure they will come up with more cool USB stuff, I seen a power generator that ran off of a USB a whileback on woot.com

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

It is going to be possible now to build a computer free of any moving parts. All one needs is a really good heat sink. I have seen an article about this in one computer magazine. Soon our computers are going to run silent! :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I though there was a limit on IO for a flash memory...?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

The solid state HDD have one major problem.

They way that data is stored on them is not very efficient. So time will tell. Currently the data is stored as rows and columns, kind of like if I want to store one bit ill have to chew up the entire word of memory.

Another problem is the limit to writing to the device. Every time I design a product that includes memory (almost any type of). It clearly has write limits.