finally: my new system is up! :D

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

finally: my new system is up! :D

Post by bad_brain »

yesterday finally the RAM modules I ordered arrived, so I was able to assemble my new system.

the hardware I use:
- AMD X2 6000+ CPU
- Gigabyte MA790GP-ds4h mainboard
- 2x1 GB Corsair XMS2 RAM, timing 4-4-4-12

the hardware will be added soon:
- Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler
- 4x 250 GB SATA2 drives
- 2 GB extra RAM
- MSI HD4850 512MB g-card (the MSI model has a real great silent cooler)

my experiences so far:
the CPU stays really cool, even with the boxed AMD cooler, the max. temp was 41 degrees yet. one reason is definitely the CPU model, because there are 2 AMD X2 6000+ ones available....one with 2x1024kb L2-cache and one with 2x512 L2-cache, the first one is clocked 3.0GHz and the latter one 3.1 GHz. I picked the latter one because it uses only 89 Watts instead of 125...the less the better for building a silent system.

the mainboard simply ROCKS!
it provides a LOT of options, this makes it also very interesting for overclockers because you can set every voltage and much more, the RAM settings alone allow already the adjusting of about 20 different parameters.
it is also very safe to use because it has 2 BIOSes! in case you have pushed the settings a little too far and the system doesn't boot anymore or you have accidentally messed up a BIOS update (which is usually the death of a mainboard) you can simply boot into the rescue BIOS which allows you to copy it to the main BIOS. another cool feature I have seen for the first time is the fact that you can even update the BIOS from Windows by a special app.
and last but not least: it simply looks cool with its heatpipe cooler:

once I have the g-card I will update my review, because then I will be able to test the "hybrid crossfire" feature where the onboard grahics chip and the g-card work together to increase the performance....this feature is also available on Windows XP and not just on Vista (as some reviews say) when the mainboard drivers are version >8.51.

here's a little pic of the time when "work was in progress":
I had to disassemble both of my systems, because the case of system 1 (the main system) is damped and has the better silent case fans, system 2 is the server box.....so I had to remove the server system (old Pentium2), move the old main system into the case and then move the new main system into the main case. together with the XP setup on the new system it took about 10 hours... :lol:
Last edited by bad_brain on 15 Jan 2009, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by rhysh »

oh dude that sub woofer looks nice,random comment

amd i though you were going to go for a amd phenom?

anyways nice rig

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the woofer is part of a Logitech Z4 2.1 system:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speak ... 0&cl=us,en

well, I considered to get a Phenom, but the one I wanted (9950 BE) was simply too expensive for me at the moment....but the mainboard has an AM2+ socket so I can upgrade whenever I want to... :wink:

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

upgrade?

whilst the phenom makes up with level 3 cache and 4 chanells instead of to dul cores or w/e i think the intell prccessors are still better,though im seriously considering building a system with a phenom when i get some cash,and no,there will be no foxconn parts :D

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Are you running PC2-6400 or PC2-8500 for RAM?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

rhysh wrote:upgrade?
yeah, the mainboard supports dual- and quadcore CPUs....so I can simply replace it if I want to. but at the moment the CPU I have is heaven compared to my old AMD Athlon 2500+ one and I am really satisfied... :D

biggie: 6400 ones (800Mhz), 1066Mhz ones are not supported by X2 CPUs, only Phenom ones....actually I thought about getting 8500 ones to be prepared for an eventual CPU upgrade later (they would simply run at 800MHz on the X2 CPU), but the offer for the 6400 RAM modules was simply too good...30 bucks for 2 GB with such a great timing is a good deal, and the modules (brand and model) are also explicitly on the manufacturer's list of supported modules. I wanted to be 100% sure not having to deal with incompatibility problems... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Yeaa that is awesome. Thanks for sticking with AMD chipsets. You can bet I'll copy your system when its time for my upgrade.
BTW, with 4 HDDs would you consider building a box just to power and hold the HDDs? Not just consideration for heat from the HDD, but also airflow in the box holding the mobo..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah DNR, I really spent weeks with reading reviews, tests and benchmarks until I finally decided what hardware to get....so "copying" my setup is definitely a good idea if you are looking for a good system that is silent but not too expensive... :)
and nope, I will install the drives in the case, the mainboard offers all kinds of RAID and my PSU is good enough with 650 Watts. the airflow should also be no problem, because the case has a 12cm fan on the front, and the HDDs are installed right behind the fan in the airflow....at the back and in the side panel there are two 8 cm fans and on top the PSU sucks the hat out of the case with another 12 cm fan.

I have moved about 50 GB of files in the last couple of hours and burned 6 DVDs, the temp is 40 degrees for the CPU and 24 degrees in the case, my room temp is 17 degrees.....so even with the HDDs in the airflow I don't expect any temp problems, and when I have the Notcua CPU cooler the temp will even decrease a lot again because the fan will blow the heat directly out of the case.... :)