google unveils their server design

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

google unveils their server design

Post by DNR »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-102095 ... 47-1_3-0-5

nice, interesting open design..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. ~Robert H. Schuller
God is the greatest.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yep, that one server handles all googles work!

Nah, come on - this is an example of one of the servers, and if you have built your OWN box , you can appreciate the simplicity

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

DNR wrote:yep, that one server handles all googles work!

DNR
AmAZA-Zing...

Joking of course, it is pretty in an efficient way, I've never built an open architecture machine... too duty, I'd need like three HEPA filters just to keep it running lol.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

IT takes about three HEPA air filters just to deal with BB's smoking..So we'd need SIX! :wink:

I have built U2 rackmounts, stuff was emplaced to consider airflow over the critical parts. You can't just have an open-architecture - dead air can hover over overheated components. I suppose if you took google's 'PC' set up and mounted it into a closet with forced air - to keep air moving over the components - it would be ideal.. Most Server Rooms are clean-air systems anyways. Cooler than the rest of the building..

DNR
-