system show off thread

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Shimo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Shimo »

@bad_brain

We have similar laws here.... It's just some people are assholes. We have two things where I live, one is the computer recycling drop offs where they mulch up the parts and separate the more expensive metals from the cheaper ones.. And then we have something through affordable housing where they take old machines and refurbish them for the less fortunate... I either like to sell my machines that can run 95 and up or take them to the affordable housing drop off.. The older clunkier models that ran solaris and win 3 and under go to either collectors or the mulcher... :P But I tend to find computers in alleys and next to the card board recycling bins in my neighborhood. :P If only people realized the potential in old machines.
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

alrighty, I pimped my case a little today, 2 blue cold cathodes on the bottom, 1 blue on the back, and 1 red on the side now... :D

pics have been taken in daylight, looks of course much more impressing in the night:

a little update...had some kind of "wtf?!"-moment... :lol:
some minutes after posting the last pics the 2 cathodes on the bottom stopped working. seems I have placed the electronic box the wrong way so the heat couldn't get out of it...](*,)

luckily I had a spare one... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Ha! Looks good BB!
I worked with neon lighting when I installed them on automobiles. I had a kit on my truck - the tubes in front, back and sides, and then inside the wheel wells. (this is the best way to do it - the vehicle looks like it floats)

The kit requires a converter to make 12vs to 7,500 volts for the neon tubes. On a car it is easier to cool the device, but I tell you - its a BITCH when it get wet. You don't get shocked as the body of the vehicle is grounded, but the neon tubes near the 'wet spot' don't light!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Finally uppgraded all my machines ^_^

First of is the gaming machine

CPU: Intel i5 2.66 Ghz (Quad Core)
RAM: 4 GB 1333 Mhz
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
System HDD: 160 GB
Other HDD: 1x640 GB (I work a lot with virtual machines, so they need their own space)

(Images are rather large, so I'll just link them)

The case is the same as for my old computer, so no change there

http://teresa.binarykitten.com/files/su ... 200323.jpg

I am very picky when it comes to the look and feel of my desktop, so I put a lot of time in making it look good (picking the right background, etc). This background has a very nice feeling to it, and creates a nice atmosphere imo : - )

http://teresa.binarykitten.com/files/su ... esktop.png

Now, on to the server!

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz
RAM: 6 GB 800 Mhz
Graphics card: None
System HDD: 80GB
Other HDD:
1x1TB - Encrypted with truecrypt (private data)
2x500GB - Raid 0, Encrypted with truecrypt (important private data)

=:Server roles:=

1: The first idea was to reach the data on the server through sftp, but it showed a great decrease in speed when mapping on my Windows machine. So I scraped that idea and used samba instead (encryption isn't needed since I have the server on the same network now as the other machines). So I map the drives on the Windows machine, and have access to the data through there (I need fast access for file transfers).

2: I am using VMware server 2.x, and at the moment I only have one Virtual machine with Debian Lenny x86 256 MB RAM and access to one core. On the virtual machine is only one service and very strict iptables rules. This service is a ventrilo server, and since I don't trust the ventrilo service, I wanted to create a complete jail for it in a virtual machine.

The ventrilo server can hold 50 clients at the moment, and is used for me and my friends. I have granted access to a friend and his guild as well, so I expect some traffic there very soon.

3: The server have a web service installed as well to host different files. There are no websites on the server at the moment, and there most likely wont be any as well. It's a "common" web service for regular image hosting and such.

Installing the server was a pain since the only graphics card I had at that time was my old broken Nvidia 8800GT, which gave the following unpleasant results.

(Before the installation, this was the content of the HDD, my old common use Linux system)
http://teresa.binarykitten.com/files/su ... 200321.jpg

This was when I booted the installation
http://teresa.binarykitten.com/files/su ... 200322.jpg

And some pics of the server itself. It's located in my closet, it's giant, and it sounds like a Jas 39 Gripen ^^

http://teresa.binarykitten.com/files/su ... 200324.jpg

http://teresa.binarykitten.com/files/su ... 200325.jpg

The Linux system

I use a Linux system next to my gaming system for a lot of my work, and before the upgrade I dual booted on the gaming system, but I now have a computer built only for the Linux system.

Unfortunately, the Linux system is not finished, so I wont post any specs just yet :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

very nice Cats!!
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

awesome cats, I liked that you used Samba, see:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Sam ... /SWAT.html

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Ok, I finished the project and everything seems to be in good working order. i took a lot of pictures, but they really aren't that great so I'll forgo the posting at this time. In the end I am very happy with how it turned out, and it was fun teaching my daughter to build a computer (first time @ 7 years old)

Final Specs:

Case: Cooler Master Sniper BE
Mainboard: Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
Be Quiet 700W xfire capable power supply (thanks b_b, good call for silent)
OS: Duel Boot, Mandriva 2010 x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5770
System HDD: 120 GB SSD
Other HDD: 500 GB
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S233L
Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Future upgrades:
+ 4 GB ram
+ 1 ATI Radeon HD5770 in Xfire
multi card reader
maybe a blu-ray burner if the mood strikes some day.

I'd like to say that I cannot express how good the Noctua heat sink works, for air cooling you can't go wrong with it IMO. At 590 RPM it has kept my CPU at a consistent 25 Celsius. While playing Dragon Age graphixs all up, temp never went above 30 Celsius. I'm not saying that Dragon Age is the amazing graphic test... but it's what I'm playing so it's what I looked at :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Wow, that's a really nice system!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe, I knew I will get you with the BeQuiet PSU and especially with the Noctua CPU cooler... 8)
you can maybe get 3 "normal" CPU coolers for the cost of a Noctua one, but it's worth every cent, simply everything on those coolers is amazing: the manufacturing quality of the heat sink, the silence of the fans, and even the packaging rocks because the included thermal grease is also amongst the best ones on the market...and not to forget the great mounting system (you could hang a truck on it I guess :lol: ).

have fun buddy.... :D

hiper
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hiper »

my system

desktop 1 server comp (not in picture)
display: LG 17" 5ms
gc: 2x9800GT 512mb
ram: 4gig
hdd1: seagate baracuda 250gig
hdd2: Western Digitial 2 tb
hdd3: seagate baracuda 500gig
cpu: AMD atlhon X2 6000+ 3,1 ghz
mobo: M2N-SLI
security: tripwire iptables

desktop 2 (gameing .NET devel)
display: philips 22" 2ms
gc: GTX 285 2GB ( will buy 1 more of those soon ;) )
ram: 6gig
hdd: seagate baracuda 500gig
cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
mobo: M4A79T Deluxe

laptop 1 (hacking stuff x), open source devel)
acer Extensa 5635ZG
display: 15,6" + LG 17" 5ms
cpu: 2.0ghz
ram: 3gig
hdd: 250gig
gc: G105M 512mb

laptop 2 (lab, general testing)
acer aspire 5532
display: 15,6"
cpu: AMD athlon 64 X2 1.20ghz (L310)
ram: 4gig
hdd: 500gig
gc: radeon HD3200
SVM, FreeBSD server, Windows 2003 server, windows 7, ubuntu server, windows 2008 server (allways hack in a safe environment)

+1 one more desktop that monitor the network (not in picture)

well this is my system, hope you like it x)

Hiper

Polynomial
forum buddy
forum buddy

Re: system show off thread

Post by Polynomial »

Here's my list:

Gaming Desktop
Intel Core i3-550 3.20GHz @ 3.65GHz
8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800C9
2x BFG GeForce GTX260 OC2 864MB
2TB WD Green 64MB Cache HDD
74GB Raptor 10k HDD

Second Desktop
Intel P4 2.2GHz
4GB DDR RAM
500GB HDD
ATI Radeon 9200 Pro

Laptop
Intel Dual-Core T4300 2.10GHz @ 2.20GHz
3GB DDR2
500GB HDD

Rack-mount 1 (HP)
2x Intel Xeon 2.8GHz
4GB ECC DDR RAM
150GB SCSI HDD
500GB SATA HDD

Rack-mount 2 (Dell)
2x Intel P3 900MHz
2GB ECC DDR RAM
78GB SCSI HDD

File Server / Media Server
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40GHz
4GB PC6400 DDR2
BFG GeForce 8800GTX OC2 768MB
12x 2TB WD Green (two RAID5 arrays totalling 10TB usable space each, stores mainly TV/movies)
4x 1TB Samsung (RAID0 array)
500GB HDD for OS

Blade Center (The Beast!)
IBM BladeCenter H
14x HS22V blades, each with following spec:
Intel Xeon Quad Core E5520 2.26GHz (one installed, one spare slot)
4GB VLP DDR3
32GB SSD
10Gbps Fibre NIC

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

@ poly I'd like to hear how you went about building this collection of gear, either you had lots of time, lots of money, or you stole it! :lol:

Photo of data center pls..

DNR
-

Polynomial
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Polynomial »

The two rackmounts were second hand off eBay - the Dell was 75 EUR and the HP was 90 EUR. Neither came with hard disks and I had to buy them separate.

The gaming rig I got for 480 EUR. The original spec was 4GB RAM and no graphics card, I had a couple GTX280s lying around from my previous box and I recently upgraded it to 8GB RAM.

The file server was self build that I've added to over a period of years. I managed to get the HDDs at a reasonable discount (roughly 40% off retail) through work. It was originally my old desktop, but I added a couple of SATA RAID cards so I could run it as a file server.

I picked up the BladeCenter for only 3200 EUR with all the blades fitted, from a company that sells off the assets of companies that have gone bust to pay off remaining debts. I was informed by a guy who works for Fujitsu Services that they used to retail those units at 2mil when they were brand new. Absolute bargain at just over 3k! Unfortunately my camera is bust, so I can't take a snap of it for you.

Shimo

Post by Shimo »

Well, I figured I might as well eventually post this up.
First we'll start with the cpuz validater link http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2038901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now for pictures.

Purdy lights on my psu

Modular slots

Front/back/side

Inside the case

And the desktop

Well there you have it, I Rarily overclock it, but I do have my ram slightly overclocked. It normaly clocks at 9 I have it set to 8, somtimes 6. CPU and GPU are more than powerfull enough for everything else. So What do you guys think? Also Yes I know I suck at cable managment, but the cpu sits at about 38C so I figure I'm good.

P.S. Notice the awfully large fan on the GPU? Well the original burnt out, SOOOO Crazy glue and a back fan later, and I have a working gpu. I like to jew rig things.
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]