I'm building a computer, any suggestions?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

One question, why are you getting a wireless mouse? I suggest getting the g5 instead of the g7 (wired and has an extra button on the side)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

You are talking about RSA security there kirk, it is syncing with a server for server access, not really desktop security. My buddy has one, it is a keychain fob that syncronizes with a server and used along with traditional logon methods. This is more protection from man-in-the-middle spoofs as the real owner will have the RSA key fob when the server prompts for extra ID.

yea I'd nix the idea of a fingerprint scanner - it makes it hard to deny that it was YOU that logged on the computer with your fingerprint. With a name or USB stick you can always have some plausible deniability that someone else logged into your computer. The fingerprint scanner does have some playback issues.

The card reader can be your external storage manager, get sticks and chips to store data off your HDD.

Dude - spend the extra $10 and get a HDD with a 32mb cache instead
Western Digital Caviar Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136320
The HDD you chose just has 16mb cache

Good stuff on the harware :wink: what no printer? Monitor?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I had a fingerprint scanner to log onto a vista system, it worked great until it didn't and then I was frustrated. A trick that they use in the army for fingerprint scanners is to us hand sanitizer before each scan so that the oils on your finger don't interfere with the scanners ability to identify you.

If you do it while you set the scanner up, you only have to do it again when your hands are oily, or dirty and you get a logon fail.

Also, I own a G5 mouse, and I love the crap out of it =)

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

@DNR Thanks for the HDD upgrade. I have changed it in my list.

The only thing I now need is a 80gig 10,000rpm HDD to load my windows-and it has to be SATA-still looking around for one. I don't need a monitor because a friend of mine gave me a really nice one that 'fell off a truck'. :roll: and a printer I'm going through Dell for because I get a 7% student discount with them.

I don't think I'm going to go with any kind of biometrics. Instead I'm going to go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817142005. Its just a passkey. Hooks up to my my 1394, i punch in a set of numbers. I'm just worried about your normal people not being able to get on and this should work just fine.

EDIT: I found an acceptable 10,000rpm HDD and I added it to my list.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I have another question for you guys. I am trying to figure out how to run two monitors on my computer. I have never done this before so will you guys help me out here. I'm buying all my products from newegg.com. If i could get a basic explanation on how to set it up and the parts I will need I would appreciate it.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, from the hardware side all you need is a g-card with 2 connectors....all modern good g-cards have a DVI- and an analog-connector, yours too (of course). I have to admit I have never setup dualview, but afaik you don't need any extra hardware... :-k

btw, I have bought a Western Digital Raptor HDD last week, it's really remarkable faster than the 7200rpm drives, BUT it's also pretty loud (read/write activity I mean)....so you should maybe think about getting one of those:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yea the Raptor! Glad you did. Sorry about the noise, but thats what the stereo is for :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it's not THAT loud, it just that I can hear it.....my ears are spoilt by my super-silent system, the Seagate HDDs I've used before are simply inaudible (they are now only for storage while the system is on the Raptor).
:wink: