LCD monitors [repair][w/photos]

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

LCD monitors [repair][w/photos]

Post by visser »

Im building a touch screen, mind you it will take months as I am a broke college student uless somone here wants to buy my old WoW account lol but anyways i am planning on using a LCD instead of a projector so this means I need a cheap LCD screen. Hello ebay lol Im bidding on a few but only going for the ones that I know the problem of and I know I can fix. I do have however one thing I dont know for sure that I can fix.

When you turn a monitor on it goes on for a few seconds (anywhere from 5 to 30) then it just shuts off. Now I dont always know if this means a full power off or just a simple backlight going out... If its the backlight then its not that hard of a problem to fix. But if it is a problem with the entire system then shoot I atleast have a soldering Iron. Im just trying to narrow down if this is just a backlight related error or could this also be the entire power conversion for the monitor itself. Mind you the backlight and the lcd run off of two different invertors from within the monitor itself.
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Things you can check are and be careful about this. The power supply inside the LCD. Look at the full bridge rectifier. If its damaged there might be a short somewhere on the circuit so repair the bridge and look for the potential short. I am sure its a switching power supply but you never know. Booth need a full bridge so check the voltage out of it.

Also the back light could be blown out or the high voltage module could be damaged. Be careful I have one in my hand as I type this and I got a good jolt from carelessness. (I am going to modify mine for a USB port) Nevertheless you should at least have a multimeter and a basic understanding of the monitor. Google and ask more here when you get the item/s.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yea be very careful - of all the parts of the computer - the monitor can hurt you the most. Of course this was for regular CRT monitors, but its possible that you have capacitors big enough inside your LCD monitor (they store power)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yes if the lcd is backlit by florescence then you can look forward to 10,000 Volts give or take.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

10,000 volts is the minimum setting on a Taser :lol:

"Don't tase me bro!"

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

lcd repair

Post by DNR »

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
--

Some interesting photos, some on laptop LCD - which shows its not so hard to repair (broken LCD is common repair on laptops)

The bulbs for a LCD backlight use plasma

Backlight setup for smaller LCD screens like a laptop

Testing high voltage in a computer monitor

Taking apart a laptop LCD screen

The complete cable assembly looks like this, note: inverter

You can unplug just the LCD screen from the cable assembly (2 plugs - inverter for backlight(not shown) and data cable)

I like to point out - this is exactly how the LCD was manufactured in the motorola cellphone I took apart.

DNR
-

visser

Post by visser »

Yeah i did some searching around and a lot of people seem to mention that when a lcd goes bad its because of a capacitor. I would not mind learning the ins and outs of a monitor as it could be lucrative to fix up monitors from ebay then sell them back at a starting bid of how much i Bought the monitor for...

also i found this and such:
http://www.instructables.com/id/FREE-17 ... -do-it%3F/
http://www.instructables.com/id/FREE-17 ... -do-it%3F/

this is proving to be very interesting stuff :P
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.