cold cathode lights mess up system

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

cold cathode lights mess up system

Post by bad_brain »

just experienced a very weird behavior of my system....I have installed some cold cathode lights a little ago (posted it on the "show your system" thread), I haven't turned them on all the time, but when I shut down the system at night and start it in the morning with the lights on the boot process hangs after the memory test...it simply stops, no error message, nothing.... *screwy*

it took a while until I figured this out, I was already like "damn, my mainboard is damaged"....but it definitely isn't because without the lights off it boots properly as ever, and if I turn the lights on after the system has booted it still works fine. it's also not a lack of power from the PSU, because then gaming with the lights on wouldn't be possible at all, the wires are also fine, there is no random short circuit or loose contact.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

try moving the transformer outside the box - the transformer has been rumored to cause EMI. In the old days we were told not to store tapes or recordable diskettes near the top shelf - it put the media near the flourescent lights and the transformer inside.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well I say like DNR mentioned - try moving the High power module (for the lights). As you pointed out BB it is most likely radiating some noise either indirectly or directly. Check the bulbs too you may need to place them else where.

Also note, that it could be reflecting signals into the computer power supply via the power plug. So if moving the module is not fixing the problem then you may need to insert a fairly large capacitor (15V 220Uf at least) or ferrite bead. I would toss it in the trash instead of inserting a cap though. Unless you really want to solder and shrink wrap the wires.

Good luck man.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, yeah.....I mean, I always had cold cathodes in my cases, but this time I placed one pretty near to the CPU (the power module is also not far away from it), that one might be the reason.... :-k

I think I will make some longer cables so I can place the 2 modules on the bottom of the case again...I hope this fixes it, because the light next to the CPU looks really badass and I don't want to remove it... :lol: