Eliminating background noise

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Grombo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Eliminating background noise

Post by Grombo »

i'm looking for a way to filter out background noise ie.the hum of my computer, when recording sounds with my Logitech USB Desktop Microphone.

i've googled for hours, if you can think of a software hardware solution other than buying a headset it would be greatly appreciated
[img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7766/impracticalskillslw4.gif[/img]

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Try turning down the microphone sensitivity. It can be found in the control panel under "Sounds and audio devices".
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I suppose you could put some sound absorbing material around your desktop,, but it'll add to the heat as well. Depending on how much money you wanted to spend you could use anything from Styrofoam to dynamat or fat mat.

Barring that, increasing the distance would help. If you're looking for a software/hardware solution though I wouldn't be that much help ;)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Re: Eliminating background noise

Post by floodhound2 »

Grombo wrote:i'm looking for a way to filter out background noise ie.the hum of my computer, when recording sounds with my Logitech USB Desktop Microphone.

i've googled for hours, if you can think of a software hardware solution other than buying a headset it would be greatly appreciated
Does the computer Hum without the headset? If so you may need to look at the power supply in the computer.

What type of PC is it?

Also try what Gogeta mentioned.

You may want to get a better Mic.

Grombo

Post by Grombo »

its a custom built pc, cooler master centurion 5 case
8800gt gfx card

the mic is sitting on the desk about 30cm above the actually pc.

"Does the computer Hum without the headset?"
i dont understand how the headset would affect the humming.
[img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7766/impracticalskillslw4.gif[/img]

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I think there was just a question of whether the hum was fan noise, or feed back, or some other noise.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Grombo wrote: "Does the computer Hum without the headset?"
i dont understand how the headset would affect the humming.
I am suggesting that you try deducing or, substituting another device that is somewhat similar to the one you are having a problem with. This could confirm the problem or remove suspicious items like the headset. IF you use a different headset (or a speaker / mic setup) and the issue remains then we can look at the computers power supply, AC lines causing crosstalk, Fans producing EMF and other details.
I go to Spain and I find that I only speak English while the rest of the population speaks Spanish. I then realize that I need to purchase a shinny new translator while on my visit in a busy store. She immediately ask me to what I need translated and I ask her to translate some English to Spanish for me so that I can get some new water pipes. Right away I notice a problem - Noise! So my problems are either the translators ability to translate or the other people are to loud.
"Substitute Good with Bad" - my electronics troubleshooting golden rule. Replace the suspicious part with a known good part. Then you will the root of the problem.
:wink: