Graphics Card Help

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Graphics Card Help

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Ugh, I know everyone makes this thread, or one similar, but I don't want to spend a lot of money just to be disappointed so... I have a GeForce 8600 GTS 256mb and I'm getting like 10fps in some of the games I play and it's annoying, so I'm gonna buy a new card. I'm just wondering, what is a good card in the $100-200 USD price range? I was looking at the GeForce GTS 250, would that be much of an upgrade? Would it help a lot?

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I think a radeon HD5770 is more performance/$... I looked at some benchmarks a while ago, and it looked pretty nice, unfortunately I couldn't find it now. What's more, you'll have directx 11 ^^

EDIT: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/pag ... _15_0.html
Last edited by Lundis on 14 Dec 2009, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

visser

Post by visser »

get a gtx series. gts series is good, but gtx is going to be way better. BUT we also have to consider if your computer can handle something that high.

you sir have an 8000 series gpu. after the 8000 comes the 9000 then the totaly not in the right order 200 series....

this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121359 its straight tits man.

and here is a good card thats a gts 250 and everybody loves: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130468

overall the geforce 8000 series gpu is old and getting a gts 250 is a very nice upgrade sir.

but it depends on if your case can even fit those cards in there. I know some of the gtx 2XX get up to like a foot long...
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

What game are you plating on the card. Are you sure its not the internet connection? CPU, RAM, operating system?

Sounds like a decent card Its PCI express I think and up to date so, the FPS you are getting may be from something else. How many processes are you running?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, the 8600 series is surely not for gaming imo, it's more for office use, 256mb g-card memory is also not enough anymore for modern games (at least not if you don't want to play at min. settings all the time).
but ok, of course it depends on the games...for WoW for example it's enough, but for the latest CoD it's definitely not enough even on the lowest settings.

but yeah, as floody said, other parameters, especially the amount of RAM, are also important....nowadays at least 2 GB RAM is almost a must imo.

but if you want a recommendation for a nice g-card from an ATI guy: the 4890 is a really nice one.. :wink:

visser

Post by visser »

bad_brain wrote:but if you want a recommendation for a nice g-card from an ATI guy: the 4890 is a really nice one.. :wink:
yeah the 4870x2 by ati is pretty good two from what I understand. to bad ya aint got a 500 dollar budget you could get the new ATI 5870 which is pretty much tits.
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.