Might be time to pick up a SSD disk.

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Might be time to pick up a SSD disk.

Post by Big-E »

I have been researching extensively the new SSD disks as they come on the market, and finally OCz releases a disk at a good price that not only competes with Intels X25 but actually beats it in many areas. Finally, I may have found a disk worth buying.

http://bit.ly/7YAinP

What do you think?

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

This is exactly the SSD that I have decided on! :D

Actually I'm going to go for the Vertex Turbo instead of the Vertex. Also 30GB, but with higher read/write speeds.

A gigantic performance improvement for a such a great price sounds like a good idea to me.

The HDD in my desktop system is noticeably a bottleneck. I'm going to order it from azerty.nl soon.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I would say hold off for a while even perhaps a year. The size is small and the way that the data is stored on these devices make them very inefficient. You think its 30gig but when data is stored on it it will seem much smaller.

3 year life time if ran 24 hours a day = 1 million hours. Keep this in mind

If you want something fast look at this baby and at 2tB you cant beat it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148506
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Well, I would probably install just my OS and run anything on the SSD that requires a lot of RW operations. For everything else I have multiple disks kicking around and more than enough storage than I will ever need. I use grooveshark for music now, so other than songs I put on my iPod I really don't need that much storage.

Though one thing you did point out that is def. something to look into is the runtime - I am a person who keeps his box on 24/7. So lifespan may be an issue - I don't want to spend ~$200 on something that will inevitably break.

Edit:

The MTBF for the seagate is 750,000 hours and the MTBF is 1.5m hours for the SSD. Do I not understand correctly?

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I ordered a Vertex Turbo for my netbook a few days ago, being a long standing supporter of SSD media it's only logical.

I have been running a 30GB MLC SSD in my netbook for over a year now, the read speeds are better then average but the write speeds are a bit slow. This hasn't been a real issue though because it's a netbook lol, the lower power consumption, lack of noise, lower heat generation and drop-ability where why I decided on SSD in the first place.

Yes they have less space, but I feel there is definitely a market for the benefits of SSD, especially for an OS drive, and the OCZ Vortex's are a definate step in the right direction
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I am not going to buy any of those for a while. At least not until they have some good capacity and speed.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal