Broken Memory Stick help!

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Frester
forum buddy
forum buddy

Broken Memory Stick help!

Post by Frester »

Now I know you're probably thinking that I mean there is some sort of virus or something on the memory key but no.... I mean my younger brother dropped it before getting into the car and then I rolled over it and opened it up! The little electrical stuff inside seems to be fairly ok though! Is there any way I can get everything transferred to a new one? If anyone has any FAIRLY cheap place to send it! And I mean cheap! €100 is NOT cheap to me! Unfortunately. Some important stuff on that key though!
Love your enemies, they hate it!

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, that's creativity"

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

Can't you plug it in anymore?

Take a picture of the device.

Frester
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Frester »

Ya. I can plug it in but nothing comes up and I have to bend it a little to get it to fit so I'm not sure if its actually "plugging". I'll take a picture as soon as possible.

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, that's creativity"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Are we taking about a Memory stick or flash device? I am sure it can be repaired but you need to take a photo so that I can see the damage area.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I was once walking back from class when I was in University cutting through the parking lot where the Engineer and Comp Sci professors park, I found a flash stick on the ground. I picked it up, brought it home, dried it out and was hoping to find some kick ass data. Sadly, it was just another students work - no name listed on it, otherwise I would have returned it.

ANYWAY, moral of the story is that these sticks are easily lost/broken. You should not consider it secure storage but merely temporary storage between Point A and Point B.

Your loss is your fault. :(

Frester
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Frester »

Ya here it is:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well i would check the usb connector. If its loose you can re-solder it otherwise I would make sure that windows sees it as a drive. What operating system are you running?
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Frester
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Frester »

Ta. It recognies it as a device but an unknown one and not a memory key.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

Frester wrote:Ta. It recognies it as a device but an unknown one and not a memory key.
Boot a Linux Live CD so that you can see what the OS says when the device is detected (dmesg).