HDD or SSD?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

HDD or SSD?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Suppose, you are given $200 to buy a hard disk.
For example, in $200, you will get 1 TB HDD and 180 GB SSD. Which one you will buy?
SSD or HDD?
My choice would be SSD.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Re: HDD or SSD?

Post by Lyecdevf »

When ever I try to vote it tells me that some thing is invalid. Any way I need huge amounts of storage so I would go for 1TB HD.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Lyecdevf wrote:When ever I try to vote it tells me that some thing is invalid. Any way I need huge amounts of storage so I would go for 1TB HD.
I am also getting same error.
Somebody pls fix this.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Poll Killed - I hate polls, vote with your keyboard - DNR

As for the topic, the HDD - you have a better chance of recovering data if you damage it or it goes bad. I have stored HDDs for over 20 years and they still work. The SSD, less so. Speed? They can be close. Capacity - 180gb is low by most standards. Did you just plan to run your OS, browser and desktop apps - or is it for storage?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it depends. cheap SSDs have no real performance advantage compared to regular SATA HDDs, and 200 bucks for 180GB is a little too cheap for me. what brand/model is it?

I've been looking at SSDs too some days ago, just as OS HDD, for storage use SSDs are way too expensive, and there was just one or two that was really tempting:
the Corsair 60GB Force Series 2.5"
it has a transfer rate of 275MB/s writing and 285MB/s reading, pretty all of the other SSDs I found in that price category had just about half those rates or even less. it's 209 euro for 60GB, so you see your 180GB for 200 USD looks a little suspicious... :-k

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I love this topic, because it comes around and around, and I am still an advocate of SSDs, so I want to respond :)

I use an SSD in my laptop, netbook and as an OS drive in my desktop.

The reason I use them in my portables is, shock resistance and low power consumption. The reason I use them in my desktop is speed and no fragmentation.

I'm tiered so I'm going to bed soon, but to answer your question, it depends on what the drive would be used for, and who made the SSD.

Also I should note, that I don't think I'll ever have use for a 1TB drive.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I have to admit I was pretty skeptical about SSD at the start, and the first ones really had some serious drawbacks like the very limited read/write cycles which made SSDs a no-go for reliable longtime use. but the newer chip series are much better, and so I consider to get a SSD too....my favs are the Corsair Force series and the OCZ Vertex series at the moment, but it will take a lot more review and benchmark checking before I make my final decision.. :-k

I have read a pretty big SSD review a few days ago, and it was really interesting, because the speed differences of SSDs is minimal, no matter what manufacturer (I mean well known brands).....the latest models all have the same controllers, so the difference in boot time for example is just 1-2 seconds max.

something pretty weird is the new "Momentus XT" series from Seagate, , it's a hybrid between regular HDD and SSD, but I haven't checked benchmarks yet... :-k

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I totally agree, corsair and OCZ are leading the way with some very nice SSDs, the one I use in my desktop has been in a few computers and is an early seagate MLC drive. I've been using it for three years now without issue... I actually think I bought it due to research I did for my response the first time this discussion came up.

Three years and no fails yet, I'll be sure to note when it craps out, and whether or not I can recover my data easily with flash recovery software.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]