Internal WIFI antenna

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Internal WIFI antenna

Post by lilrofl »

So I'm going to change out my netbooks wifi card, but the card I am installing (SR71e) has 2 antenna plugs, both u.fl type. The card I am removing has only one antenna (RT2870), so i will be purchasing another antenna.

Does anyone have advice on what type/kind of antenna I should get? I'm fairly certain not all of them capable of scanning 2.5-5.8GHz?

I have found a lot of information, but none of it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for... any suggestions?
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Internal WIFI antenna

Post by DNR »

I use the UM175.
Y-cable for more power, Jack port for external antenna.
Its a USB broadband modem

There are PCI cards that can offer external jacks for wifi antennas, but - internal installed might not.

You can use ANY wifi antenna -
http://www.hawkingtech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a dish, a mag-mount, or even a tower mounted 15dbi Outdoor omni directional that will sniff up to 2 miles!

The key is to find gear that allows access to the firmware and tweak it. Check with the sniffer product you want to use for their recommended manufacuter of wifi card.
Also consider attaching a wifi router to the cabled connection of your laptop - use the RJ45 port to access and sniff wif signals through a wifi router/bridge - makes for easy wifi hotspot spoofing!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

DNR wrote: Also consider attaching a wifi router to the cabled connection of your laptop - use the RJ45 port to access and sniff wif signals through a wifi router/bridge - makes for easy wifi hotspot spoofing!

DNR
HA!! true enough.

I finished the mod this evening, in fact this is my first post with the new card. I have to admit it was much simpler then I thought it would be. Speed has increased, number of nets seen has increased... so I imagine power consumption has increased as well. However, with the amount of control I have over the card, I think it will be worth it in th long run.

Moral of the story, don't get intimidated by things you don't understand... dive in, and see where you end up. Remember, no matter how bad you jack up your stuff... the best stuff in the world is still just stuff :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I believe most systems are built with low to moderate power - the average user does not need extended range to sit further from a hotspot, or a tweakable WNIC to sniff RF.

The most anonymous surfing is by using an unsecured WAP, there you are surfing under someone else's IP, and ownership.

you'll want a MAC changer, change your machine name often, and never get caught with the machine red handed.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.