Multi OS problem

Problems? Post here...
infiniteparadox

Multi OS problem

Post by infiniteparadox »

okay i have xp pro, i partitioned my hd yesterday 2 install another OS (linux) using partition magic 8. i chose the option to immediately install OS. I installed my linux, but now i am not allowed 2 reach my other partition. i am completely unable to boot windows. i dont really want to format the hd but if i have 2 i will (i've got my "favorite" files on another small partition so i wouldnt lose anything vital.

any ideas?

knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by knightm4r3 »

Idea 1. Don't use Partition Magic ;) try Acronis Disk Manager, or even the free GParted.

Idea 2. Can you boot to a recovery console and then fix mbr or not. Im not even sure if this will help. (Im assuming your booting to Linux and can't get to windows)

You can use a knoppix live CD to transfer files from the unaccessiable partition and move them to another drive or partition if there is anything important.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, seems the MBR has been overwritten, the "fixmbr" command should solve it (but Linux will not be accessible anymore then)...or is XP showing up in the bootloader menu and simply does not load?

what Linux distro do you have installed?

on the next fresh install simply leave some empty space for Linux and use a distro like Debian or Fedora...other OSs (like XP) are recognized during install so usually multi-OS systems are working without the need to do a lot of configuration... :wink:

mid

Post by mid »

when i dual-booted with slackware i always had to make sure that it used lilo as the default OS booter otherwise it would just go straight to windows. now if you do that already, you may have to add a line to the lilo config to make the other OS show up so you can boot into it