First steps in Hacking+

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

First steps in Hacking+

Post by eppik »

Hi there you may know me from such posts as.....oh damn sorry ive been watching too much simpsons....

ok remember that post in wich i demonstrated how easy it is to use Mega Ping to start auditing your own pc (yeah i ahcked my dades PC)

So now i seen alot of stuff about defacing websites but isnt dat lame?

What i'm really interested is in box hacking.

I'm asking here, after i find a boxes ip adress how do i find the vulns and ports, can someone direct me to a program that finds vulns?

Anyway i also would like to know how to, after discovering the vulns, how do i take advantage of them?

Oh and BTW in my dads company he has a huge server, running 2 XEON CPUs with 2 gigs of DDRII 800 MHz memorys fast broadband (16 Mb internet speed) and i'm pretty sure that, even tough it has 2 NETWORK PCI cards working together it is possible to break into

If any of the admins wants i can send the static IP so they can audit, but only the responsible ones (like B_Brain :P)

Plz i really like to know how stuff works.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You're heading somewhat in the right direction, eppik. Firstly, i don't suggest you use a program without knowing how it works. That's not hacking, it's script kiddy-ism. Anyway, i don't know very many networking resources, but you may want to take a look at our download section here, if i'm not mistaken, i believe that there are plenty of e-books in there to entertain a god...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

eppik

Post by eppik »

Hey tnx but just one thing:

I dont really understand the concept of having 2 NETWORK cards working together? what are the advantages? is it unpenetrable?

My dad says it works as a Natural firewall....

Another thing:

Lets imagine i found a open port in that box...lets say...the ftp port (not sure its 21 or 23 or 25 lol) what could be done to that machine? And how do i remotely execute a file in that machine?

When i was LAN connected to my dads pc i tried opening the cmd prompt but it opened mine, is it possible to be done without using lame-o trojans?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...I think you misunderstood your dad a little, because 2 network cards don't mean more security in general...imagine a network card as a door, you still need somebody which allows people to enter or not (which is the job of the firewall). I think what you dad meant is that one network card is used for "public" access (internet) and the other is LAN only. so if you run a service (ftp for example) you can bind the service to the LAN card so nobody from outside the LAN can access it....this is because of the used IP address, there are public and private IP addresses. the difference between public and private IP addresses is that private ones can only be used in a LAN (192.168.x.x are private IP addresses for example), even if an attacker knows this IP address he can't access it through the internet because requests to private IPs are not even routed on the internet and the first router would simply drop the request. this makes sense because public IP addresses have to be unique worldwide, but private ones have to be only unique within the LAN.

and an open port (which means an available service) doesn't automatically mean you have access or can use the service, usually there is still a user/password combination needed for authentication. if you haven't such an authentication and want to "hack" into the system the common steps are:
- information gathering (what OS, what services are provided)
- look for known vulnerabilities of the OS or the services

get a nice port scanner for beginners like superscan 4 and scan you dad's box, don't worry, you can't do any damage by a simple portscan...it's a good start to get deeper into networking... :wink:

JuggaloMushroom

Post by JuggaloMushroom »

i disagree with you on that part bad_brain i actually have a private ip and i am still getting hacked so is it cause of a trojan or something?any ways also to epikk you might want to use a packet sniffer (some one correct me if i am wrong) is rather useful(i find it to be useful) and i think the open ports are just ways for one to partialy get in(i don't know if i am right on that one either)+you should really never take tips from a noob :lol: .*points at him self**cough*
Oh,Not in cruelty, Not in wrath,
The REAPER came today,
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
And took the cube away.

eppik

Post by eppik »

Your right Bad_Brain thats exaclty what he was triing to say that its almost impossible to get into his private LAN

Now....what tah hell is a packet sniffer for? and what are its uses?

So many questions.....

Lets say i find the shares folder open like my dads PC was, if i send a file there, how do i remotely execute it (example for a file: my own batch line)