Post by bubzuru »

iv never used linux b4 but i want to give it a go wot do you sugest :roll:

isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by isapiens »

Ok... here you go. http://distrowatch.com/

Debian is pretty popular.

I personally think its easier if you dual but it with windows if you are a first time Linux user. Because most likely, most of the shit is not gona work right away, so you can always go back to windows.

have fun.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

SimplyMEPIS if Windows-Like and if you can find a copy of Xandros 4.1 (Open Circulation). I know you can find a copy of it on Demonoid (Xandros)

Xandros 4.1 can support some win-modems (I know for sure it can support Dynex MX-300).

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

My first time I used slackware. Some people say it's more advanced, but I used it regardless as a learning experience but in the end I got it up and running well, and secured with a working wireless card which I thought was quite the feat considering it took like a day to get working. If you're willing to put in some time, willing to not be afraid to mess shit up and start over..I suggest slackware.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

i used Knoppix and Redhat as my first Distros

my advice, before you wipe or partition your HDD for linux, download a live CD, knoppix live cd is really easy to use...

all you have to do is burn the .iso put the cd into your drive and restart the computer...

bubzuru
.net coder
.net coder

Post by bubzuru »

thank u all :D

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that Xandros 4.1 is based off of Debian Sarge (Final), so bad_brain should be able to help anyone who has it.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Stavros wrote:Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that Xandros 4.1 is based off of Debian Sarge (Final), so bad_brain should be able to help anyone who has it.
yep.... :)

OUTLAW3D

Post by OUTLAW3D »

In my opinion I say BackTrack 2. It's what I'm using now and I love it. I have 6 other distros and tried them all out because I was bored with BT2 for awhile. Fedora 7 and Ubuntu 7.04 were by far the worst in my opinion.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

OUTLAW3D wrote:In my opinion I say BackTrack 2....
As we speak, I am running Ubuntu 7.04 live right now. I kind of like it, I however do like my slackware but I have yet to try BackTrack2.

OUTLAW3D

Post by OUTLAW3D »

I liked Ubuntu better than Fedora but I still dislike both. BT2 isn't hard to understand either. IT was my first real Linux because I just got into it a few months ago. So I guess I'm saying that it's noob friendly =]

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

BackTract2 is a security auditing tool. It's on what your going to what you want and what you need. If security relation is what your looking for Linux, then BackTrack2 is the most famed, as well as knoppix-std.
You can also get Damn Small Linux (DSL). DSL'S size of 60mb makes a quick download and burn, and is a live distro. It's good to get started with.

Debian is popular for a standard OS.
But I currently ran SuSe which is also good.
Redhat stopped production so try to avoid that and go with its seccsor Fedora.

Note: When i said knoppix std, i meant security tools distrubtion, not sexually transmitted diaese. Besides, they changed the term STD to STI Sexually Transmitted Infection. :wink:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]