Security Cameras

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
chaosghost

Security Cameras

Post by chaosghost »

Ok i am not a total newb, but by no means am i a pro here. I have a security system set up at my house, cameras and such. Now i have it setup where i can view my house cams on my laptop via PCanywhere, my question is this, if some joe blow is searching for my system or any system for that matter can he hop on my home cams without PCanywhere? If he figures out the password and such? Could he do it any other way without pcanywhere? Could he find out i have cams with anytype of scanner software? I have a four camera systems setup no sound on an independent system, hardlined not wi fi. My home connection is DSL, if that matters.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

if your system is connected to the internet any way, yes a person can find it, with or without pcanywhere, its totally possible. My advice is this, why do you need to watch your home security away from home, if someone decides to break into your house while your away, and you see them on your screen, what really can you do, yea perhaps call the cops, but you have to figure in relay time, depending on how far from home you are, a thief could be gone by the time you actually get through to the police or they even show up on the scene, trust me it only takes a thief 15 minutes MAX to get what they want and get out, even less if its a team, so what you should do is make your security system CCTV or Closed Circuit and not hooked up to the internet, that way its always recording, and its not connected to the internet, either way you still have a recording to give the poice if in fact you do have a break in

chaosghost

Post by chaosghost »

I understand what your saying, i am not to worried about a breakin at my home. I am more of a big kid who likes to play with toys, for example, i have a thumb verifier on my comp for shits and giggles. I am into security a ton. I have 2 small children at my home that i also like to keep an eye on while i am out also i can see them and talk to them from my office. I am working on some home automation things too. Like i said i like my toys. I networked my house just to secure it and try to find new ways to break into it. I guess now i just wonna try to crack my house, should be fun. If anyone knows any good ideas to secure this setup i would like to hear them.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

:D ok i see, yea i like my toys too, i was just looking at one of those fingerprint devices.

Anyways one of the easiest ways to access a security camera setup is by direct connection, or tapping into it via splicing into the wire, which means a person would have to physically be at the wires.

Hacking into it in general through the net would be difficult, especially since your using a biometric device, also it would be easier for a person to hack into your system if your using wireless.

well i gtg ill be back 2marrow to talk a bit more about it

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

you can google and find a large index of various cameras hooked to the net