Window installation error

Problems? Post here...
Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Window installation error

Post by Nerdz »

When I try to install windows xp pro on a machine, I always get a : Windows was unable to copy this file from the location... The file which can't be copied is a random one, somethimes its the tcpip.dll or chkdisk.dll... anyway, I tried with 2 different win cds 1 english and 1 french and same problem on both. These are copies, but i know it's not the cds. If you have an idea....?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

ive had a problem similar or maybe even the same, cant rememer what it said exactly, i also had a copy but from home edition, it wasnt the cd but like halfway the installation it said it couldnt copy the files from D:/I386 the reason was because halfway my cd/dvd reader somehow didnt work if youve got the same problem, just press cancel then ull still be able to install windows anyway but like a very very lite version, lots of parts wont be installed but then once you can get into windows copy the folder I386 to your C directory and insert the cd again, then choose the upgrade and when it asks you for the files just change the c into d everytime so youll have C:/I386 well thats at least if you had the same problem as me,if its something else

good luck
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

xonets right, if its getting errors in randoim places its most likely caused by either your cd/dvd drive or even your hard drive, i know that i had similiar errors dealing with redhat 9, i later found that is was the hard drive creating my problems

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

I got it... I inserted the hd in my machine and I install it... ut now when i put it back in the customer machine, the comp freeze right after the bios stuff...( in my comp it was working) got any idea what coul couse this?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, windows isn´t portable between different hardware, but normally you should get a bluescreen which tells you the "unable to boot...maybe a virus"-blahblah... :?

have this system worked before already or it is a new one?
try if you can boot with knoppix from a USB-stick and access the HDD (if the mobo supports booting from USB devices). this would help locating the error... :wink:

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

yeah this comp use to have millenium b4 i format it...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah,ok....
well,like I said,you can´t install XP on one machine and run it on another one because all the hardware settings are wrong then, normally you can do a repair install, but could be the mobo reacts with a total failure and freezes up the boot.
you´ve said it installed properly using your hardware, so it can´t be the HDD. so try to install it on the customer´s box using YOUR cd-drive, I bet it´ll work.
:wink:

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

Nha... didn't try... here's what i tried:

1. Format and install winxp *Failled*
2. Switch the cd-rom with an old 40x one *Failed*
3. Change the hard drive *Failed*
4. Try with a french xp version *Failed*
5. Install it on my comps and then swith it back *Failed*
6. Try to put my cd-rom in her machine and install window *Failed*

So now I'm pissed off and im installing windows millenium ERK

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

is the customers pc hardware up to par to handle the XP operating system? when i tried installing xp on my machine here in my station it wouldnt work because i have older hardware up here, so I used 2000 instead, I hate ME it sucks to develop for at times.