Hi, newb reporting

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
heliobacterpylori

Hi, newb reporting

Post by heliobacterpylori »

I'm new, and now I start

I'm sorry to rush my intro, but i deperately need help.
My school's band forum (I know this sounds bullshit) has been hacked by some idiot with nothing better to do (some guy from our school). We need the forum because of school financial reasons etc. blah blah blah

Could someone teach me the Dumbass's Guide to counterhack?

if you guys need more info (i have no idea what you need) the http is:
http://www.byngmusic.org/forums

thank you all for bothering to read this post and if you decide to help out, thanks again.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

is this webspace you´ve rented or is it on your own server?
if it´s your server you have to edit your firewall settings, if it´s just webspace you have to contact the host and ask him to do this for you.

I could do a full vulnerability assessment for the site, but first you have to proof it´s your site of course, contact me on PM for this and for the details about the firewall settings.

the first thing that I´ve noticed is that the board version is outdated, no wonder it could be hacked easily, updating and patching is inevitable!.... :wink:

heliobacterpylori

Post by heliobacterpylori »

the problem is, it's not MY site personally, but my school's. I have no details what-so-ever on the server status and stuff on it. I was asked by one of the student counsil guys to look for people who might be able to help. I don't really think it's too big of a deal for you to do a vulnerability test on it, since it's hacked alreayd anyway.

I do have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to find the IP of the attacker from an outside source or an inside source?

2. And if the answer is yes, can we trace the person in real life using the IP? Because the person is a person at our school.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Thanks for your help, but the school's decided to shut off the forum and just make a new one, so just forget it. Thanks anyway. If I need anymore help, I know where to call.

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

good luck with the new forum

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

that sucks... :?
well, good luck with the new one, if you or your school needs some help or advice let me know... :wink: