a fan on a battery?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Xonet

a fan on a battery?

Post by Xonet »

Well here i am with another question for all the experienced electronic guys.

For a little project im working on i would need a portable fan but as usual the budget is very small so i cant just buy one, ive got a fan from my pc left that i dont use and i was wondering if its possible to put it on a 9volt battery, theres one problem that there are 3 cables, black red and blue but as u may know a battery only has + and - 8O , well if anyone with some electronic knowledge or experience could tell me if its possible id really appreciate it.

thx
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

should be no problem, just use black and red, the blue one is most likely for the speed regulation when using a temperature sensor. and even if you connect the wrong cable for a quick check it´ll not damage the fan... :wink:

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

thanks it works just as i want it, no noise, cool wind :D

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

bad_brain wrote:should be no problem, just use black and red, the blue one is most likely for the speed regulation when using a temperature sensor. and even if you connect the wrong cable for a quick check it´ll not damage the fan... :wink:
how you know all this random stuff is amazing ha ha ha

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe...well, electronics was a big hobby of mine before I started with computers again, I used to build tube amplifiers and tuning stuff for stereos like powerfilters...:wink:

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

damn that was kinda stupid from me, paid 4euro for a battery but it doesnt las a night :( , is it possible to plug it in the wall somehow? i need like 3 to be on all night maybe also during the days for a few months so batteries arent really usefull.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

youll have to get a power cord that converts the voltage from the wall to a lower voltage so that the fan will run for example

lets say i have a DC brushless fan motor (from a pc of course) that uses

12 V---DC 0.22A
(look on the fan motor for something similar to this)

now find a power adapter that you dont need and look for something that looks like this

Input: AC 100-240V 50/60 HZ 0.35A
Output: DC 12 V 1.2A

(it wont look exactly like this) youll want to try to match the output value of an adapter as closely to that of the input of the fan like i mentioned above, its important to have the A as close as possible (A stands for AMPS)

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

bad_brain wrote:hehe...well, electronics was a big hobby of mine before I started with computers again, I used to build tube amplifiers and tuning stuff for stereos like powerfilters...:wink:
wow how hard is that? there wouldn't be any programing involved would there?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right Circuit, except the Ampere thing.... :wink:
the Ampere output is the capacity of the adapter, so a 12V adapter with 1 Ampere can handle 12Watts (V*A=W). so when a fan has an energy usage of 6 Watts the adapter could handle 2 of them. if you just plug a 6 Watts-one on a 12 Watts-adapter the fan still just uses 6 Watts.... :wink:

magiceiko: nope, no programming in there.... :wink: but it´s a lot of fun, check this one, it´s the amp I´ll get when I´m rich:
http://www.kraudioproducts.com/Kr/Enlar ... ductID=116

the tubes of these babies were formerly used in the radar-devices of russian MIG jets, they have the size of large beercans... :)

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

looks like something striaght out of frankenstines lab. :)

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

yuea brain, yu are right about that, but efficiency is key i suppose, id rather be more on the money, than be off or out of it :wink: simple circuitry will explain everything in this post, you can google it im sure, oh and by the way, i leanred to do this by taking cassete motors and making them into tattoo guns, using power supplies to run the motors, fun fun, no regrets :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

8O
wow, I´m really looking forward then to the suck-o tattoo on my forehead you´ll be doing for me when we meet for DEFCON... :lol:

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

thanks for all the help guys, im gonna buy a suitable adapter as soon as the budget allows me to,ive searched all myold adapters but none seems good.