folders to empty daily/weekly

Problems? Post here...
mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

folders to empty daily/weekly

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Nope, no problem with deleting these files, you can also delete them via command prompt: rd /s /q %temp% ... :wink:
A fine program which deletes all internet junk is WinSweep:
http://www.winsweep.net/winsweep3.zip
To look around in the registry can be annoying, so I use RegCleaner, it´s available in the useful programs downloads.
A good way to find all temp-files is to simply use the windows search function, just search for .tmp and .temp-files.
Files which can be deleted too are old backups, so search for .bak and .old-files too.
And you should empty the prefetch-folder regularly, it´s located in C:/Windows/System32/prefetch, every program you start writes an entry in this folder and Windows is looking for these programs during every startup, even if they have been deleted a long time ago, so unneeded entries slow down the startup of the system.

Um,a mapped drive is normally a drive which can be accessed via network, but a mapped out drive can also be be a part of a HDD which is damaged and therefore "is no longer on the map" because it can´t be used (well, it´s normally not a whole drive, just blocks or sectors).

Oh, and "MS Antispyware"....funny that it don´t even find Alexa, I would never rely on this program, every software corporation which works together with MS is surely taken out of the spyware definitions of this program. Ad-Aware and Spybot (1.4 final out now) are still the best imo.... :wink:

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I can´t guarantee that deleting .log-files will not affect some programs.
personally I didn´t made bad experiences with deleting these files. but what should be pretty safe is to open the log-file, delete the content and then save the empty file, this gives you the opportunity to see what is logged in there too... :wink:

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

wasted

Post by wasted »

I tend to not use IE or firefox that much (opera) but when ive been looking at emmm stuff :d i just delete private data in opera. Opera saves all cookies and stuff in a seperate folder so it seperate from any other browsers. If that were to help anyone :)