Oh god please NOOO!!!

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Xonet

Post by Xonet »

bad_brain wrote:hm, that´s weird. but I think your teacher is right and it´s caused by a virus which probably destroyed the MBR of the HDD. GetDataBack can´t cause such problems because it´s just reading out the raw data without editing it in any way.
first you should try to repair the MBR:
- boot from XP CD
- chose repair
- enter the recovery console
- run the FIXMBR command

if afterwards the HDD is recognized again by the system you should do a virus scan. do NOT use the HDD as the one to boot from, make sure to connect it as slave and run the scan from a clean system!
did that but nothing seems to change, luckily ive got a slax live cd 8)
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

Xonet wrote: did that but nothing seems to change, luckily ive got a slax live cd 8)
slax live. whats that? live linux distro cd?

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

ooh my god now i really dont understand this anymore, im using a friends 30g hd that i could borrow and it worked instantly, bought a new smaller, different brand hd and ive got exactly the same problem

and yes slax live is a live linux distro cd :D it was very usefull its got all chat clients and such, and what i found really ironic, when people talk about linux you usually hear one of the problems are drivers, well in windows i have to install all my drivers manually, when i simply put the cd in without hd it has ALL drivers on it, everything works instantly :D now isnt that ironic?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I would bet your mainboard is a female one, this is really weird... :lol:
the problems with Linux and drivers are a thing of the past, it only can be problematic with analogue modems and some scanners. remember how many older hardware devices became unusable when XP was released, I never heard of this in context with new Linux kernels or distro versions, and the reason is pretty simple: MS gets money from hardware manufacturers so they can sell their new stuff, just take a look at the Vista hardware requirements. Linux is developed by users, MS by business men... :?

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

just wanted to let you know its fixed

dunno how i've just let it rest a while, installed windows and it worked 8O 8O 8O now i seriously dont think pcs are an exact science anymore, unlike most say they dont just do what theyre told, they seriously got an own will

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

now you know why I pet my PC for half an hour every day.....I have to keep HER satisfied... :lol:
well,if this behaviour appears again it points to a micro-fracture on the mainboard, my first P2 sometimes couldn´t be started for days and then worked fine again for weeks, I think it was such a mobo-problem.... :wink: