Batch files ? ? ? Help me

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Floodhound
forum buddy
forum buddy

Batch files ? ? ? Help me

Post by Floodhound »

Ok I have learned many programming languages but I don’t fully understand a .BAT file. Can some one give me the run down on what they are for and what can be done with one? .bat? looks like I inadvertently skipped learning batch code structure. Help is appreciated. TY :twisted:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Google is so awesome. Back on topic: Found this site--> Batch Programming I don't know if this is useful or not, but here you go.

Batch is easy. I might be considered easier than HTML.

Floodhound
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Floodhound »

Ty bro i will give it a looking over however i was really looking in here for a pro to suck knowledge out of. :twisted:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, batch was my first "programming" language, even though it's not really even programming. Batch is technically a bunch of MS-DOS commands thrown into a file to execute.

Some common batch commands are:

Title - set the titlebar
color [value 1] [value 2] - sets the background and text colors
goto - jump to a given location
:link - a "goto" indicator, used for loops, or menus, etcettera
if [operator] * [then...] - used to judge variables among other things.
%what% - variable "what"

Unfortunately, the above information may not be totally correct, i haven't done batch in AGES, but it's the general idea behind it. However, remember you cannot control telnet, ftp, or any other "over the net" functions with batch files, they're not that powerful.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

gogeta is correct about Batch being a bunch of ms-dos commands thrown into a command file so to speak....basically batch files are executed from command prompt to execute commands so that your not sitting there typing a bunch of commands over and over....another use of batch files is the autoexecuting types that run on older machines(autoexec.bat) ms-dos/windows 3.X - WinMe - at startup the computer would run these to set up things up like environment variables and the like....

Floodhound
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Floodhound »

Thanks for the info. I have a good understanding of the BaTCH file usage now. Once thanks again! :twisted: