Advice, suggestions whatever it be..I need it.

All about creating websites!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Advice, suggestions whatever it be..I need it.

Post by Big-E »

So basically, as most of you know here, I am in the process of trying to develop an online store. Well, I have come across some issues.

1. If I develop my own product management system, shopping cart, user interface and checkout system I am going to have to set aside A LOT of time to get this done. Time = money I could have made; so I have some solutions.

a. Wait it out, develop the site to my specifications and makes things work for me. Problems which arise: Time consuming and the aforementioned issues arise with regards to the correlation between money and time.

b. Use a pre-built e-commerce solution such as Zen Cart, or OSCommerce. But, then I need to modify the template to my own specifications and on top of that I would need to add a MASS amount of items into a db manually which is why I wanted to create my own product management system in the first place. Basically, the layout goes like this
Product Category (IE BOLT) > Product Type (IE Zinc Hex - UNC) > Product Size (IE. 1/4") > Product Length (IE. 2") > Product Description.

So you will have an item that looks like this:

[Picture]

Hex Bolt (Zinc Plated Coarse Thread)
1/4" x 2"
Zinc plated hex bolt w/ coarse thread.
Price/Quantity: $x.xx/100peices.
[ ]: Add

So, that kind of gives you an idea what I want the product selection to look like. However, with any solutions I have looked through so far - I cannot find anything to meet my needs. Any suggestions here?

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

why not make a product "slideshow" in Flash?

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

That is even more work, swan. Plus, that would require all my customers to install flash on their system, and if you think of my potential clientel, well basically most of them won't have the means of doing so.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, what payment options do you need? I've set up an online shop using Wordpress already, and it's easy create and use, the layout is also ok and no big deal to customize. but in the free version the e-commerce plugin it only supports Paypal, if you need CC payment you would have to get the non-free version. if you want to see the shop I created let me know via PM...
http://www.instinct.co.nz/?p=16

:wink:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Well, I was thinking of using google checkout and paypal, but I have also been looking into some CC payment methods, such as authortize.net. I am not 100% sure, but I think I can also accept credit cards via google and they will do transactions. I might be interested in learning more about this solution.