My new project

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

My new project

Post by computathug »

I gather everyone has heard of a dbox or dream box which ever you prefer. Well i have been looking at getting one of these for a while, not that i watch much tv, but i have heard lots about them. My interest lies now in not buying one but building one. I have done some research and found various items explaining this is possible but now the reason why i want it is because i see another mental challenge ahead. Can i make this cheaper than they can and make a pound or 2? They are here in the uk for £200 and and as my normal logic sets in wonder if i can make one cheaper.

Q. What do you get in a DM7000?

A. For full info you can go to the official site but to summarise:

* DVB Satellite tuner. (In future, you may be able to buy Cable and DTT versions too, but the mainboard does not seem to have front-end module slots, so my guess is Cable and DTT will need their own motherboards. So you would need two Dreamboxes to get DVB and DTT, for example.)
* Loop-through connectors for LNB and SCART. This makes it easy to start using the DREAMBOX before you're ready to disconnect your old receiver. The SCART loopthrough may also help if your TV does not have enough SCARTs for all the devices you have. (WARNING: I have not yet succeeded in getting the LNB loop-through to work!! It seems that the loop-through is just a "T" connection; that is, only one receiver may be switched on a time. For some setups it might be better to use an external satellite signal switchbox e.g. from Global Communications.)
* PowerPC CPU with 64 MByte RAM. The RAM does not look expandable, so 64 is the max.
* Hardware MPEG decoder.
* 10/100 Ethernet port.
* Cables/brackets for IDE hard disk. NB there is NO HARD DISK as standard - you need to add one if you want to use the PVR timeshift functions (timed recordings from radio and TV), unless you use a remote hard disk shared via the Ethernet network with NFS. If you buy an internal hard disk, choose one which is quiet, and doesn't take too much power. For Dreambox, 5400 RPM is better than 7200 RPM, and < 500 mA of power from 5V and 12V is best. Interface is IDE ATA 66, max capacity supported is 120 GBytes.
* USB port
* SPDIF audio output as well as analog (phono sockets). AC3 support is included.
* RS232 9-pin serial port.
* Intelligent Remote Control. This can control your TV as well as the Dreambox.

i have an old 300mhz pc which runs with 64k ram but has huge expansion slots which would hinder the process of adding the usb etc etc, but il check the board tomorrow and see if its possible to conect a memory card read or that may have to be external as well. even better if the motherboard will fit into a cube?
Mind i can get 1 of these for £45 with board for a amd 1200 processor hich i have got already and it takes sdram which i happen to have a 64k slot available at my disposal. I am then thinking i would be able add a slower hdd and maybe convert an old tv card. I would also need to add ascart socket conversion some how which is where i hope some of you suckoteer engineers might be able to point me in the right direction. Maybe im thinking i wont need this if the tv has a vga or svideo etc.

Any one think this is viable, i would be happy to save £10 and have built it myself.

If this will work i will log the work and post :wink:

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

just so that I dont have to read the entire post.

what is a DBox?.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

wtf?

Post by DNR »

Shit, N3 I thought mo2332 hacked your account and posted.

I'd though you be smart enough to look it up yourself, but this time its cool...
http://www.digiememo.com/
The Worlds smallest digital Linux set-top box with DVB-C Standard universal CABLE TV tuner
Perfect for private cable networks, SMATV-DTM installations or MMDS
Full DVB-C distribution system planning and installation service available
Universal mains power supply and new remote handset included.
:roll:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

mo2332
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by mo2332 »

Shit, N3 I thought mo2332 hacked your account and posted.
lmao im sorry to admit you are right lol, any ways i would love to see your final result.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: wtf?

Post by n3rd »

DNR wrote:Shit, N3 I thought mo2332 hacked your account and posted.

I'd though you be smart enough to look it up yourself, but this time its cool...
The Worlds smallest digital Linux set-top box with DVB-C Standard universal CABLE TV tuner
DNR
yeah k so im dumb who gives a shit XD.

U guys should know better by now that I am a financial expert XD not a computer scientist :P.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Hey, I would love to make this my home project as well. We used to get many channels on our satellite TV but now we only get CNN.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Re: wtf?

Post by Big-E »

n3rd wrote:
DNR wrote:Shit, N3 I thought mo2332 hacked your account and posted.

DNR
yeah k so im dumb who gives a shit XD.

U guys should know better by now that I am a financial expert XD not a computer scientist :P.
Manage my money, then.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Can I have $200, please. It'll go towards the finest hookers and beer...I mean...uh... my new server....yea, that's the ticket.

But seriously, computathug, any luck with LinuxMCE and MythTV?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Stavros wrote: But seriously, any luck with LinuxMCE and MythTV?
Nah thats not what i was looking for although that is some cool assed software. What they are for is controlling the receiver of the already in use available channels. LinuxMCE is the dogs bollox though if ya ask me. I gotta have a go with that once i build the receiver. Any one who wants to see some video's of this in action check these out. The first is showing how easy it is to set up and the second is the comparison to WindowsMCE.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2905109829

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2477313460

Here is what i want to build.

This is a pc running linux which through your existing cable or satellite connection and picks up a lot more channels as its running on linux it has much more capabilities. This then just connects to your tv and you can view all the channels till your hearts content. Someone asked me why do i want to build a receiver to get another 500 channels when i dont watch the 500 i have already. Why because i think its, possible and when festive season is over im hoping one of the more technical guys can tell me, and if maybe someone else has done something like this to see if its worth doing. i have most the parts to get this project started, am just wondering on weather a digital tv card like this added,
http://ecviewdtv.en.com51.com/products/ ... 63552.html
and then use Enigma, Traveller, Dr. Matrix on the box im hoping this is possible.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

This would be the first use full thing that I would make since the day I wanted to learn to hack. So I am really hyped up right now! :)

So let's see if I got this right. You want to take an old computer install LinuxMCE or Dreambox to it and add some stuff to it like the Digital TV card and get some scart slots as well if I am correct. So the TV cable would go first into the computer where it would scramble all the TV channels and than you would connect the TV receiver to the scart slot and watch all those channels. Sounds like a good idea and I just have a spare computer that I could use for this. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Yes lyec, that is exactly what i am after achieving. The dreambox is the hardware i want to build out of spares i have and then add the open source so it can be used as a receiver. I now want to use a second box for LinuxMCE so that i can control everything from any room in the house.

Up to now i have most of the hardware if it is going to be possible to make this out of an old standard pc. I am going to keep researching this till i know it can be done before waisting copious amounts of time on something thats just not possible with the technology available to me. From what i have read so far this does seem possible, so if you would like to make it a joint project and help do some research we could make a joint thread and get this machine firing on all cylinders. :wink:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

If you are starting a project, may I suggest flyninja.net @ http://www.flyninja.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page to keep track of your progress? I am sure that circut would appriciate the activity, and it's a great wiki to keep track where users can contribute to the cause - also search indexed via google (I think, but it's a mere assumption), and hopefully it could assist other people trying to do a similar thing. Freedom of information is a great thing. :)