Shoulda started here first,eh?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Shoulda started here first,eh?

Post by LaBlueGirl »

Ok. LaBlueGirl here.
27 years old, expat (mv -R /home/LaBlueGirl/New Orleans/ /home/Belgium/ -v)

I'm a late-bloomer, compared to most of ya'll:)

Know HTML (whoohoo, me smart girl!), working on CSS/style sheets. Getting to know this ins and outs of Linux:)

I like long walks on the beach, romantic candlelit dinners...wait, wrong group..
ok.
I like RPG's (strategy not tactical), books (just finished all of Hesse's works and some Castaneda) and now writing paper (out of boredom) comparing nagualism to the Upanishads and the 'Gita:)
Ok, So I'm not programmer material, but a script kiddie I ain't, either.
Lost my news feed, but I was happily trolling USENET for quite some time. (t0rhlls, flonkers and meowers:))
MY Sig. Other is my computer guru, the Man With the Plan.
I only take my tinfoil hat out on occasion:)
Errm, what else..
My university degrees are in Nursing and Philosophy.

Stumbled on this site from the Google gods (peace be upon them), liked the atmosphere. So here I beez...

Guess that's it.
<checking lits>
Yeup. That's it
</checking lits>

LaBlue "Hi, My name is" Girl
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I'm kind of a "late bloomer" too (although 9 years earler; I'm 18). I don't believe there is any age to being "too late to learn about computers." You just have to have a liking for computers and a lot of time (which I have). Hooray for being in High School.

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

YES RPG's are awesome. what would you say your top 5 are? Nice to see more people checking out linux. Lot of fun ha ha ha and fustrashion i have to say.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

welcome on the site LaBlueGirl...:wink:
seems Linux is your main OS, nice! :) and Stavros is right, the age don´t matter in computer stuff, I´m 36, I´ve been working with computers since I was about 13, but then I had a pause of 10 years and began again about 3 years ago. and to switch from an Amiga 500 to a PC is like starting all new.. :lol:
I´m not much of a gamer (lack of time), but my favorite genre is spacship action like in Freelancer, right now I´m unpatiently waiting for the release of Darkstar One... :D

hehe, black9, Linux can be frustrating at the beginning, but it´s absolutely worth it, Windows to Linux is like Playstation to PC...serious computing isn´t really possible with Windows imo and Linux also forces you a little to learn about the essentials like networking... :wink:

LaBlueGirl

hiya

Post by LaBlueGirl »

Stavros wrote:I'm kind of a "late bloomer" too (although 9 years earler; I'm 18). I don't believe there is any age to being "too late to learn about computers." You just have to have a liking for computers and a lot of time (which I have). Hooray for being in High School.
That's what I figure, too (never too late to start). It is a bit unnerving, though. People younger than me could script me into a corner! But it's all good.
When I was younger, I was more into "expanding my mind and horizons", if you understand:).
Luckily for me as well, I also have the time. I'm a stay at home kinda gal for the moment (until this whole dual nationality thing gets straightened out).
I only started learning HTML a year ago, but got sidetracked by moving to Europe:)
Nice to meetcha:)
LaBlue

LaBlueGirl

RPG

Post by LaBlueGirl »

xtheblack9x wrote:YES RPG's are awesome. what would you say your top 5 are? Nice to see more people checking out linux. Lot of fun ha ha ha and fustrashion i have to say.
Sheesh, top 5 huh? That's tough... Let's see:

the NWN series (HoU and SoU included)
Badlur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Legends of Aranna (comme-ci comme-ca)
FF series:) (yea!)
yeeaaarrrrsss ago, in the dark ages of my youth, I played White Wolf, and a tabletop D&D game (I forget the name right now)

Et toi? (and you?) What are your faves?
LaBlue "RPG grrl" Girl

LaBlueGirl

Post by LaBlueGirl »

bad_brain wrote:welcome on the site LaBlueGirl...:wink:
seems Linux is your main OS, nice! :)
Heehee, our server has logfiles:)
bad_brain wrote: and Stavros is right, the age don´t matter in computer stuff, I´m 36, I´ve been working with computers since I was about 13, but then I had a pause of 10 years and began again about 3 years ago. and to switch from an Amiga 500 to a PC is like starting all new.. :lol:
I switched over to Linux...7 months ago. I must say, it is a bit more work but I enjoy the flexibility. For me, going from XP to Linux was like starting over all new:) No pleasant little GUI's:)
bad_brain wrote:I´m not much of a gamer (lack of time), but my favorite genre is spacship action like in Freelancer, right now I´m unpatiently waiting for the release of Darkstar One... :D
Since my son goes to school during the day, I am able to stay up till the crack of dawn, gaming, seeking, writing my pages, etc etc. Then I get to sleep most of the day away:) Only way I can make time for my "hobbies":)
I'm not big on space games, but I am going to check out the ones you mentioned. Personally, I like strategic, turn/graphic/fantasy-based (possibly anime themed) PC games, MMORPGS, broswer/XWindows/Java client based, 3D preferable, 2D/isometric ok...games:)
bad_brain wrote:hehe, black9, Linux can be frustrating at the beginning, but it´s absolutely worth it, Windows to Linux is like Playstation to PC...serious computing isn´t really possible with Windows imo and Linux also forces you a little to learn about the essentials like networking... :wink:
Linux is still a little frustrating to me:) But I appreciate the capabilities and you can a helluva lot more on a Linux box (i.e. astalavista's labs;))
Luckily for me, a computer engineer at Novell printed out his study books for his certificate on Linux machines heheheheh

Nice to get to know ya'll here:)
LaBlue "that was a f*ckuva lotta paper he used" Girl

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Speaking of games and Linux, has Call of Duty 2 been successfully ported to Linux?

I have a weird sleep patern. Lately, I've been going to bed about one in the morning and waking up about 6:15 and I feel reasonable. Last night I went to bed earlier (right after 11:30) and I felt like crap when I woke up. I don't know what's up with that.

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Re: RPG

Post by xtheblack9x »

LaBlueGirl wrote:
xtheblack9x wrote:YES RPG's are awesome. what would you say your top 5 are? Nice to see more people checking out linux. Lot of fun ha ha ha and fustrashion i have to say.
Sheesh, top 5 huh? That's tough... Let's see:

the NWN series (HoU and SoU included)
Badlur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Legends of Aranna (comme-ci comme-ca)
FF series:) (yea!)
yeeaaarrrrsss ago, in the dark ages of my youth, I played White Wolf, and a tabletop D&D game (I forget the name right now)

Et toi? (and you?) What are your faves?
LaBlue "RPG grrl" Girl
I don't play as menny RPG's anymore as I used to so most of my favorites are on snes.

1. Secret of Mana for (snes)
2. FF series 9 was my favorate then i would say X ha ha ha i actoully cried (I still can't believe i cryed over a video game)
3. chrono trigger (snes)
4. grandia 2 (ps2, and i think dreamcast) because of the battle system
5. xenosaga (ps2) not because the game was all that great but man half that game your watching stuff and not playing its like when you cross a movie and a RPG

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

Stavros wrote:Speaking of games and Linux, has Call of Duty 2 been successfully ported to Linux?

I have a weird sleep patern. Lately, I've been going to bed about one in the morning and waking up about 6:15 and I feel reasonable. Last night I went to bed earlier (right after 11:30) and I felt like crap when I woke up. I don't know what's up with that.
ya when i don't have work straighting me out my sleeping habbits are allllllll over the map. I must say though i would rather stay up at night and sleep in the day, i like it alot better.

as for Call Of Duty 2 im not sure i know Cedega only supports the first Call of Duty for right now. Im not sure about wine and other programs. I know it sucks but if not now im sure support for COD 2 will come over time.