Windows wants to repair, but nothing happens

Problems? Post here...
ayu
Staff
Staff

Windows wants to repair, but nothing happens

Post by ayu »

When i start my Windows computer it says that i need to insert windows CD to repair, but when i do so nothing happens, it doesnt repair.

i have Windows XP Home edition.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Windows is shitty. When it tries to repair itself, it's in relation to you getting shot in the head, and putting a bandaid over the bullet hole. Get linux.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

i am trying to get Linux but the computer is Windows locked xD gonna buy a new comp soon : /

LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Post by LaBlueGirl »

neo130 wrote:i am trying to get Linux but the computer is Windows locked xD gonna buy a new comp soon : /
M'enfin!!!

How exactly is the computer "Windows locked"?
Windows is an OS, not a brand of computers.
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, Linux is sweet, but Windows is still much more comfy for all those everyday multimedia- and gaming stuff (come on, admit it... :lol: ).
so if you want to keep windows I would recommend to boot XP from CD and do a repair install (not the repair console!)..... :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

LaBlueGirl wrote:
neo130 wrote:i am trying to get Linux but the computer is Windows locked xD gonna buy a new comp soon : /
M'enfin!!!

Dell turned to Microsoft for help and made a contract, that for Microsoft to help them they would need to design their computers so that only Windows was able to run on it, they got their own Bios designed for that if im not misstaking. And i have tried alot of different Linux versions like suse mandrake and redhat, and i used almost all versions avaiable, but none seems to work.

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

neo130 wrote:
LaBlueGirl wrote:
M'enfin!!!

Dell turned to Microsoft for help and made a contract, that for Microsoft to help them they would need to design their computers so that only Windows was able to run on it, they got their own Bios designed for that if im not misstaking.
Yes you are 'mistaking'. I ran Mandrake 8, SuSE 8, RedHat 7 on different Dell notebooks (Inspiron/Lattidude) and i have currently a whole LAMP config on a 5 year old Dell laptop up and running.

If you don't believe me, believe them guys here

And for further info : it is the Operating System software settings that has control over BIOS settings and not exclusively the oposite, as many may believe. The "designed for Windows XP" stickers on most ready to take away computers and devices nowadays is an agreement between manufacturers and the ones who have the dollars for more dollars, that is until now: Microsoft Corp and soon; Novell/Sun. Those stickers do not indicate that you cannot run another OS or a non native Microsoft application on the product.
Read your manufacturers' manual.

--FrankB

n00b of yet another n00b

LaBlueGirl

Post by LaBlueGirl »

I've looked, and I can't find anything about this.

Would it be only on a certain line of Dell computers, maybe?
The only contractual agreements I have found were between Dell, Microsoft and Universities.

Most PC's are "Windows ready" b/c Windows is GUI-fied (hence user friendly) and like bad_brain said, they are the best for gaming, etc.

There is still a market for Linux and games which normally run for Windows. Usually all it takes is the client software to run it.
Or, if you are willing to fork out the dough, you can buy kick ass games for Linux as well.

I digress:) I doubt your computer is only capable of running Windows. If you aren't sure, you can call the Help number or check out Dell's website.
Creating a dual partition (of that is what you want to do) isn't exactly a walk in the park. If you can get someone to assist you that prolly would be best.
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thx for the info, the info i got was from a friend and not some site, as in not 100% sure (can see now that it aint lol)

i have a Dell inspiron 8600, and yes i can install the Linux on it, but when it comes to the "mixerconfiguration" it starts this noice thats really annoying. I turned off the sound and got to the login page, but when i get there the screen just turns black : /

and btw.... wth is ht0..something..... got an error on that while starting.
and when i install and restart it says something about "display invalid blablabla argument"

and no dual partition aint what i want ;P i have 2 computers so i want one with Linux and one with Windows : )