need advice with 8800gt power usage

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Don't worry, its not fatal

Post by DNR »

don't worry mate :lol:
APS is alternate power supply, like a battery back-up, the battery filters the ups/and/downs of AC power supply and gives you a clean flat level of QOS. (yea I said QOS another abbreviation to mess with ya :lol: )

the worst that will happen is you will have higher heat, lower lifespan of the PSU and other components - but hey - no one lives forever!

If your gear doesn't shut down, and runs within temperature limits set by the manufacturer - you should be ok. Just be smart and back-up your shit some where else.

Do provide status reports when you get up and running..
:wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Grombo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Grombo »

k thx a lot, will do

EDIT: jsut so you know, im not going to do anything about the power supply, ill jsut be using the card cautiously and ill set a restore point i suppose, i'm used to having to wipe my hard drives, ive done a few times...
[img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7766/impracticalskillslw4.gif[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

calculated risks

Post by DNR »

Don't feel like you are doing something wrong, I guess we all take 'calculated' risks. 8-[

*edited- I had a box with two HD, a CD/DVD, a ZIP drive (instead of a 1.44 drive) but I just had a middling AGP video card. Not only is it a 450w PSU, but it has been running for years - even after being left in the back of my Jimmy for a bad winter, bouncing around, dusty, shit dropped on it. I never really worried because it was just a 'clean' box that had a NIC and modem card. I would swap out the HD easily because they were in caddies. In college computer lab they used that for students to swap out between classes, so I installed one at home so I could play with the software after school..*

The idea is just to protect yourself. Think of the box as a platform that just runs an OS and drivers, your personal tools and saved files would be on multiple, removable medias.

You'll get an app that will read your temperature sensors, so baseline it and just keep an eye on it. If things are going to go bad, they will usually happen right away. If not, you cover your ass by backing up important data and keeping install disks/drivers around. [-o<

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Grombo

Post by Grombo »

ok, it's pretty much definite im getting my new card today, hopefully they aren't out of stock everywhere again =.=

will i need to uninstall my previous graphics cards drivers before installing the new ones?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes, remove all previous g-card drivers and get the newest one on the manufacturer's site, DON'T use the driver that comes on CD with the card because it's outdated.... :wink:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Grombo

Post by Grombo »

well, i've put in my card and dled + installed the new driver, but i didnt remove the old ones.... hadnt read that post back then, but its running fine, bioshock, my most demanding game is smooth as. 75fps on TF2 ^^

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it's not a MUST, but it's a good practice to keep the system clean by removing them... :wink: