Need advice on what Distro to get

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
4rc4ng3L
forum buddy
forum buddy

Need advice on what Distro to get

Post by 4rc4ng3L »

Okay i am getting a small laptop, around 12' screen, Celeron 2.0ghz, 1gbram, 50gb HD. What i need it for is programming on the move basically. I have no need for games or anything like that. Just programming, browsing the web and il need i to work well with wireless.
I have used RedHat, Mandrake(now mandriva) Gentoo but not in dept. So i dont really have the proper knowledge. If you guys could think of a distro that would suit my needs your help would be appreciated...

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well it really depends on your experience with linux, honestly. For instance, if you wanted to install slackware, on disk one, it gives you a bash prompt and tells you to install it. That's a major "wtf am i doing" for noobs. However some of the debian based distros are very visual and use the commonly known K Desktop Environment. Slackware has several different distros made for different purposes, including programming, i believe. I'm sure others here will be able to help you alot more than i can.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

nix/nux on a laptop

Post by DNR »

As long as you have a recovery disk for your lappie you'll be ok.

My laptop has cd and wifi connex, so those are two options you might have to install your most familiar nix/nux software.

Drivers for propriety devices may be hard to find or just won't work with your new OS software. Go to your laptop's tech support website and see if they support or recommend anything.

You might consider trying a dual OS setup, let me know how that goes.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

4rc4ng3L
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by 4rc4ng3L »

Cheers guys

suckerr70

Post by suckerr70 »

personaly for a casual desktop at home i like mandriva but for a laptop i would go slackware. I second the idea of the dual boot. Windows may be stupid but there will always be a good program for it (and MS Ofice isn't that bad ether :P ).