Mac OS X on a none Mac computer

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Mac OS X on a none Mac computer

Post by ayu »

I found a blog about how to get Mac OSX installed on a none Mac computer

Read about it HERE

Just thought it might be interesting to try it out :wink:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

just a quick note for anyone who likes to jump straight in the deep end with out reading first
AMD processors are not supported at this time.
Other than that if ya going to try this forget the coffee, grab a few beers and enjoy a long hard smoke during installation! :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

After like 10 installations of Mac OS X Leopard on a none Macintosh i have come to the following conclusion...

Installing Mac OS X this way....is...hard >_<

I tried 4 different versions of the modified Mac OS X on my Zepto 3215W laptop.

You can watch the product sheet HERE

1: iAtkos V1.0
2: Kalyway
3: Leo4Allv3
4: *name that i can't remember*

Only two of them worked successfully, and those were number 2 and 3.

When i managed to install the OS for the first time i noticed that there was no sound, "fuck" i thought, so i tried to goto google for some sound drivers, when i noticed that there wasn't any network drivers either (bummer?).

So, i analyzed the computer some more and got the brands for the parts that i had trouble with, then i reinstalled several times to get different settings and try different kernels as well as drivers for the cards.

I didn't keep count but an estimate would land around 10 installations that day with the different DVD's and settings.

Quick summary: I got the summary working, programs are working and the OS "seems" stable enough to use. Only problem is that i can't get the network to work. I found a patch for the sound that i haven't tried yet but according to the page it should work with the sound card that i have.

The tests will continue today, and i will start to take notes today so that i can give you all a more detailed log of what i have done so far and my progress, i think Mab will do one as well so let's see if he succeded better then me =)

Cheers!

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

My experience

Post by maboroshi »

My experiences have been a bit more pleasent but still frustrating...

I started up with a 6 hour download but it worked pretty much ok I had to set my sata drives to ACPI or something in the bios. After that I installed about 4 times before I realized the guid bootloader did not work. I fixed that by using the MBR bootloader

After that was a continious loop on a welcome screen fixed that by following the information here...http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc5 ... under I am stuck in a loop at account creation

Sound also did not work neither did my network but I am using a PC with those unsupported as I did my research while installing..

Currently I am installing to an older box of mine with which I believe the network and sound drivers are supported... will see how that goes and I will post here

Cheers

Maboroshi

Distros Tested Leo4all v 3
First try
Platform Intel Duo Core CPU
Second try AMD Duo Core 3200 64 Bit * or something like that

Edit * Network and sound work on the second box Im good to go
Edit again * No boot Loop

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Tried with another (older) computer as you did Mab, didn't work at all for me.

Versions tested:

Leo4allV3

Times installed so far: 1

stuck at "waiting for root partition" or something along those lines, I read somewhere that this is a known problem so I will be reading around some more to see if i can find a fix for it.

I will have to install XP on the lappy again now and skip the Mac OS X tests on it for a while now, since i have a lot of school work that has to be done and i need the laptop for that.

Anyway, experiments will continue, Cheers! =)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Yea

Post by maboroshi »

I was stuck on that loop to

I had to enable my sata drives in BIOS as ACPI, but for some reason the sites suggest IDE Try either/or. Mine was on IDE before changing to ACPI

Anyway Im now trying to figure out why it crashes when I surf the net anyway

Tests shall continue :D

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Tests

Post by maboroshi »

After all my testing I am happy to say its working beautifully

here is a screen shot of my Hackintosh

will right a tutorial soon

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

icons

Post by DNR »

hey you got Comodo firewall to work on it too?!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

hmm

Post by maboroshi »

Hmm :-? Comodo Firewall not that I'm aware of looks like thats a windows app... maybe a same icon *shrugs

Maboroshi