Guide making forum.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Losing_grip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Guide making forum.

Post by Losing_grip »

Ok i know last time i already asked how to make forum and stuff here last year. But i didnt make one.

My question is , how much do you think would it cost to build a forum?

Im going to use SMF or Lo-Fi

Domain name would be how much? 9$ a year at godaddy i think?
How much would i pay for the server that would host the files forum etc?
Im guessing that i would have 200 members per month on that forum.
So how much do you think it gonna cost me per month?
Im not that expert and good at html and stuff.
So i would prefer step by step instruction.
And yeah , i can only pay thru western union? do they accept that?

Thanks in advance.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

reality check

Post by DNR »

<sigh> :roll:

Look, not to piss on your parade. But let me slap you with some reality here.
So how much do you think it gonna cost me per month?
Im not that expert and good at html and stuff.
So i would prefer step by step instruction.
Why don't you just stick with this forum for awhile, at least B_B doesn't charge anyone to be on his forum, so the step-by-step instructions are available with little work.

The questions you ask have been answered before in other posts here, but we will be glad to go back over some specific points. Try the keywords of "website" to search the forum.

Remember no offense intended, just reality.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Good advice mate ^^

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Sorry for double post , but already answered my own question by simply googling ^^ sorry guys.

Anyway i just want some of your opinion based from your experience.

Do you think i should register to Philippine Webhosting (My country)
or some outside the country web hosters? thanks.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

and we go on

Post by DNR »

Thanks bud :wink:
I would suggest a server outside your country of origin, if you are going to get in to a hacking forum, esp. one that might post links to cracks or tools. Having a server outside your law enforcement jurisdiction is just CYA in case someone in your country gets all bent out of shape over some hackers and wants to shut down all sites hosted or monitor them.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Awww dude , there would be no 'hacking' and 'warez'. :lol:

It's all about Online Games Community and lil real life topics jokes etc. :P

im thinking to pick the philhosting net so if ever that there is problem , i could easily call their hotline xD , so whatcha think?

Thanks dude xD

visser

Post by visser »

ok im gonna put my personal opinion up here.
from what ive done... your not going to want to pay for a webserver and domain name. you dont know html or php etc. so. learn that a little bit first. i would be more than happy to tell you how to set up a webserver for free.

its better to put off the costs until you know you can do what your going to do :P

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

visser wrote:ok im gonna put my personal opinion up here.
from what ive done... your not going to want to pay for a webserver and domain name. you dont know html or php etc. so. learn that a little bit first. i would be more than happy to tell you how to set up a webserver for free.

Im willing pay dude , its only about 25$/year 1yr domain name plus 1 year web hosting, based from tutorials i saw , you dont really need to learn html or php if you're just into forum , but its indeed recommended that you know the basics of php and htmls. However, im just going to install SMF into Control Panel and that's it right? Im more info forum anyway , then im going to play with the control panel and learn a little basic around. 25$/yr won't really hurt my pocket. But thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. :D

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Sorry for double post , but do i really need to put my real information when im going to register at web hosting server? I mean , people could easily WHOIS my domain and would find out my real name and address. So wheres my privacy?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Here's your privacy: http://www.internetprivacyadvocate.org/ ... alInfo.htm

As for knowing PHP and HTML, not to mention SQL, you NEED to know these things to run a website, because if you don't, you will get security issues up the ass. I mean, sure you can have a pre-made forum such as PHP or IPB, but security issues pop up for them all the time, and you have to learn how to apply patches, or better yet, review the code and find vulnerabilities yourself.

You can never be too careful, your security is only as strong as your knowledge of it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

about the registration:
some countries (USA and Canada for example) provide the nifty "privacy" feature, this means your personal contact info (address, phone number) will not show up in WHOIS. if this is not available in the Philippines go for godaddy. it is better anyway to register the domain NOT as part of a hosting bundle, because the hosting company can blackmail you if you do....happened to me already (the old school suck-o-teers might remember the "distributing malware"-incident where the host locked the site). if you have the domain registered at a separate registrar you have full control and can always say "fuck you, stupid hosting company, I'll grab my domain and go somewhere else"..... :wink:
the hosting itself should best be located in your own country, makes it easier to grab them by the nuts if you're not satisfied with their service...and you know what laws apply, keeps you away from not-so-funny surprises because of offending a law of a foreign country.... :wink:

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

bad_brain wrote:about the registration:
some countries (USA and Canada for example) provide the nifty "privacy" feature, this means your personal contact info (address, phone number) will not show up in WHOIS. if this is not available in the Philippines go for godaddy. it is better anyway to register the domain NOT as part of a hosting bundle, because the hosting company can blackmail you if you do....happened to me already (the old school suck-o-teers might remember the "distributing malware"-incident where the host locked the site). if you have the domain registered at a separate registrar you have full control and can always say "fuck you, stupid hosting company, I'll grab my domain and go somewhere else"..... :wink:
the hosting itself should best be located in your own country, makes it easier to grab them by the nuts if you're not satisfied with their service...and you know what laws apply, keeps you away from not-so-funny surprises because of offending a law of a foreign country.... :wink:

dem by the nuts it made me tense up in imaginaryu pain...wtf XD

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, if you would work as phone support guy at the server company where I get my servers you would exactly know what I mean... :lol: