Very hot GPU

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Very hot GPU

Post by ayu »

Ok so I was playing BF2 yesterday with a friend, and all of a sudden the comp just froze, and I had to restart it to get out of it. Now, it's very hot here at the moment, and my window was closed, chassis was closed, and the game was on, I did not check the temperature at that time though since I wanted to jump back into the game as quick as possible ^^

Now, today I made a little experiment to see how hot it was while gaming....

I opened the window on full, and opened the chassis and took out the computer a bit to give it some more air. I also turned on a fan that I have at the window.

Now, I of course play my games in windows so that is where I am at the moment of the experiment. I install Everest to check the temperature, it was ~70 degrees Celsius steady when I was outside of the game. I started the game and joined a server and played for about 5 minutes, when I checked the temperature was about 81 degrees Celsius.....and it did NOT freeze.

Imagine what it was when I played before, when the chassis was NOT opened and the window was NOT opened and the fan was NOT on.

This is an image I took a few minutes ago in everest.

So, the hot weather is doing more than just lighting fires and killing people, it fucking destroys computer components as well!!

PS: I have loads of friends who has lost HDD's in the heat, so you all better strap some extra fans on them ^^ I have.....
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I have to say , I used to have this problem that my GPU would be 60 celcius, now that I use a new 3rd party cooler on it it does not go beyond 45 celcius,
so it is advisable to purchase a new cooler because it does make a huge difference perfomance wise and durability of the card.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, what g-card are you using? maybe you are lucky and it's one from the ATI x... series, because I have a fastass passive heatsink cooler left.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

naah not ATI =/ NVIDIA 8800GT

Weird thing is that when I bought the card, I also bought a new huge fan for it that was said to be "high performance" and "quiet" .... Well, it's quiet alright =P

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

cats wrote:naah not ATI =/ NVIDIA 8800GT

Weird thing is that when I bought the card, I also bought a new huge fan for it that was said to be "high performance" and "quiet" .... Well, it's quiet alright =P
Are you sure you connected it properly?
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

jupp, it has worked for months...until the heat wave came to Sweden xF

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

cleaned it since you installed it? ^^

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Did that today tbh ^^

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I've got an 8800GTX and I did some research. Most people get 80 C for the 8800 core. I get a little bit hotter. I used RivaTuner and changed my fan to 100% all the time. I can't hear a difference in the decibels and my idle temperature dropped from ~70C to 62-64C depending on ambient room temp.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

The box that I bought off the shelf gets hot because it was designed to be quiet but because of that it does not have many fans to disperse the heat. Later I build my own computer and I got a computer housing with many fans and I even got the PSU with a big fan so heat is being dispersed with ease! :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal