windows xp prof. start-up please take time to read

Problems? Post here...
tnyper21

windows xp prof. start-up please take time to read

Post by tnyper21 »

the problem is when i start up or re-boot my computer it takes forever...there is one reason is my computer is a piece of shit...so when it takes forever and sounds like its about to blow up.....i bring up task manager look in the process tab and there is a whole bunch of crap starting up, what i need to know is which ones i can end because i was told if i end the wrong process i will fuck up somethinf in my system files which ones are safe to end..thanls for reading :?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Usually, you can't completely destroy your computer in task manager. All the crucial processes are protected and can't be closed. So go ahead and kill the processes using the highest memory (like, 40,000 or 30,000 and up).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

would be better to keep these processes away from starting at all instead of killing the tasks. you can do this in run>msconfig, if you´re not sure which entries you can disable get HijackThis: http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip and post the log here... :wink:

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

read carefuly!
Sounds like your computer is infected with a serious worm of the older W32/series. (Nimda, and its variants)

I don't want to sound pessimist but just to be sure :

a) boot your computer with no internet deviices plugged in, even not printers, USB-sticks, just boot it as an isolated computer and compare :

* the computer may have a hickup and not being able to boot => there is hope.
* the computer boots but nothing shows up : BSOD

--> this means : your entire filesystem is infected (luckily, Windows knows no normalisation like a 'filesystem', it mereley depends on a handful of system `tasks` that do it all, so you can boot in SAFE-MODE and try to repair with your HomeEdtion disk or whatever disk you used to instal that Windows version.

b) do what Gogeta suggests, that is ; see which processes you can really `kill'.
Native Windows exes will return "Cannot die process x, in use by process y" or something. Windows is so wrong written that it does not allow to kill even essential processes, infected or not.. go figure, %-)

Now starts the real long dreadful task :

- Non-native Windows (apps you downloaded for Windows) processes will say either the same, that is, if you have Netscape/Firefox running, it will not allow you to `kill' it just like that.
--> if so : your system is very, very, very corrupt.

- Get a list of all regular processes, thare are PLENTY of lists at Microsoft's that explains clrearely ALL the legitimate processes that should run on every one of their released ..ahum.. OS & ServicePacks, patched or not.

important : to be realy sure , try to exterminate/kill a runing proccess of the TASKMANAGER that is not in the Microsoft list of regular processes.
1) if you see that process re-appear after a couple of seconds : ... beep.. your puter is seriously infected !

2) If, killing a spurious process in TASKMANAGER, you see the same process re-appear with a slightly different name (while your computer's cooler hums as hell), you are infected and there is NO hope.

3) Luckily, you can still backup all of your important data with the DOS emulator, all other GUI-Recovery crap is prolly already infected. If you need help with that, either PM me or reply on this post.

--
FrankB.n00b(this,true)