Red Hat + cats = apocalypse

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

Red Hat + cats = apocalypse

Post by ayu »

So I bought this book on Linux, thinking that it would be a good idea to fill in all the blanks about it. And the book uses Red Hat 7.2 in all of it's examples and such, which was included in a 2 CD pack in the book. So I read through the install pages just to make sure that I didn't miss out on anything important.

In the middle of the install it wants me to choose the graphics card since it could not automatically probe for it. And since I have a card from the Radeon 9600 series I choose the Radeon 9600 Generic driver. From then on the installation went smooth.

And when I had to choose if I wanted Gnome to start or not, I choose to let it start automatically since the book suggested so.

Finally the install was done and I could restart and start with the rest of the book. Or so I thought at least. But the only thing I got was still the shell, no X window started, there was an error in the xorg.conf telling me that it could not find a video device that would suit the driver. So, confused as I was (and tired), I reinstalled the distro and tried another Radeon driver just to be sure. Tried all the drivers as well as some regular "generic" drivers, but nothing worked.

So today I downloaded the correct drivers from the ATI server and placed it in my home directory. But when I tried to start it, what happens? I have the 2.4 kernel and I need the 2.6 one for that driver. So I thought that maybe I could use the update tool for Red Hat to have it fix the kernel real quick. But now a new problem showed itself. Apparently I have to be "registered on the Red Hat network" to use the update tool.

Super annoyed as I was, I swallowed my anger and went on with the registration, which didn't work because of an SSL error =)

So, I will be trying Fedora instead. Shouldn't be much of a difference since it's sponsored by Red Hat.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

Red Hat 7.2 has already reached it's end of life. The current version seems to be Red Hat 9, which I'm sure includes a much more recent kernel and video card driver.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

G-Brain wrote:Red Hat 7.2 has already reached it's end of life. The current version seems to be Red Hat 9, which I'm sure includes a much more recent kernel and video card driver.

Hmm ok, didn't know that. Gonna try and see if Fedora works on this compy first though. But I'll keep that in mind, thanks =)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Red Hat is not distributing end-user releases anymore, they focus only on enterprise releases now. I used RH9 too but the support ended about 2 years ago (suck-o was first on RH9), RHEL 7 and RHEL9 (enterprise versions) are still supported...of course not for free.
so go for Fedora...;)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Turns out Fedora didn't work either on the server. It's odd, last time I had Linux issues like this, was on that exact same box. The odd thing is that the interior of the box is new =P the old server parts are not used anymore, yet I have the same issues with another distro xD