Newer hard drives

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Newer hard drives

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey guys, i've heard that sometimes a motherboard won't detect a hard drive because the hard drive requires a certain controller or something like that, so that the hard drive can work to it's full capacity, have you guys heard of anything like that? I can't remember exactly what the guy said, but i want to know so i can use this hard drive...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I only experienced this with very old mobos (which were built when win95 or 98 were up to date). there were 2 maximum HDD sizes, I´m not sure about the first one, I think it was 30GB or something like that....newer boards have sometimes a maximum of 137GB (newer means 4-5 years old).
these limits are because of the BIOS, so an update would solve the problem.
for an eventual limit on your mobo check the handbook or the manufacturer´s site.
if you use a bigger (160GB for example) HDD already there will be no problem at all, no matter how big the new HDD is.

I don´t think there will be other problems depending on the controllers, if a S-ATA one is there a S-ATA drive will work on it (for example).

:wink:

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

If i get you right, you talk about Hard Disk-Controller.
Well, a simple rule of thumb : Hard Disks Controllers must be compatible, mostly ATA compatible.
To obtain a brilliant functioning between Mo'board & HD is :
a good HDDcontroller&motherboard all compatible.

Mostly you find those specifications on vendors website :
Seagate disks are very very explicit in their manuals.

HTH

--
FrankB.n00b()

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Orite, thanks guys. Someone that runs a business building computers told me that that might be the problem with my hard drive.

This mobo is from 2002 and the hard drive is from 2005, however the comp has an 80 gig hd in it, which is the same as the one i want to put in it, so yeah...

Anyways, thanks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...