Log files

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Log files

Post by Still_Learning »

Where are they located at in Windows XP and Ubuntu? is there a bunch of them you have to look at or just one main log filethat has the important info like say if someone pings your PC or trys to ftp into it, ect.. is there a certain setting you have to check for the log files to work, any good links that you can recommend or advise on system log files , http, ect..? ]

I never really looked at or cared about my system log files, until now since I am thinking of hosting my own websites instead of paying for hosting. Are there programs to manage all the log files? say i use filezilla server for my ftp would have its own .log file then say my ubuntu or windows xp system has its own log file? I would just like to see whos trying to hack me or my server and how when i get this thing set up. Thank you!

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Windows doesn't have a centralized log file directory, well, except for logging for the OS itself. OS log files are located at %SystemRoot%\System32\Config. Best way (or at least my perferred way) to look at it (and choose between what logs to look at) is through Start > right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer.

For programs there should be a sub-directory where the program is installed.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

if you plan to host any server with Windows as its OS, thats a bad idea.. unless you are ready to pay thousands of dollars buying license and all for operating system and server software which is still inferior to open source *nix as far as stability and ability to take load is concerned.

you're talking about log files so that you can check if anyone is trying to 'hack' into your server, well every daemon you run will have its own log files, if you use IIS on windows it will have its own log files, if you use apache on windows it will have its own log files.

*nix systems are again better in this too, basically their are two daemons for logging, klogd(for kernel stuff) and syslogd(for programs), without going into too much details,
usually all the logging stuff is done in /var/log/....

several organizations set up stand alone log servers itself, so log files are important, especially for servers, there are various log monitoring tools, like psionic and WOTS to name a few

setting up your own server isnt so simple as claimed in tutorials, you need to have dedicated bandwidth, good hardware, and someone to monitor,lots and lots of configuration, automation tasks, shell scripts, etc...
and yes ofcourse good networking, operating system and basic programming knowledge.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I see.. yeah I dont plan on useing windows for any kind of personal network, the only reason why i would learn it would be to get a job paying better money. Yes, I am pretty much talking about the .log files that show what has happened on my pc or other pc's and if anyone has tried to "hack" it or un-auth entry to it (or any kind of weird behavior). From what im reading i guess it is a bunch of diffrent log files , each program making its own log file. I appriciate all the help and will start practicing / learning more about them with the info given. Is there any kind of program that you can manage all your log files? Like a log viewer or something you can use so you dont have to goto each directory and manually pull them up in notepad or whatever? (both for linux and windows, i am running ubuntu eith innotek virtualbox running windows xp) thank you!