long range wireless

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

long range wireless

Post by computathug »

hey guys, yes i have googled and i have seen many a home made dish etc but the truth is i havent got time to make one and am looking for a quick fix.

The situation im in is that i dont have internet at home yet as i am just getting sorted and have to wait for the telephone to be fitted before i can hook up and there isnt the possibility of me having cable either but what i do have is a macdonalds out the back of me at the bottom of the hill and we all know they have free wifi. There are no other points in range where i could...knock on the door and ask to use there connection :wink: and am wondering if any one can recommend something to reach maybe 500/600 yards so i can hook up? not really worried about the price more bothered about time with out the big world wide web.

Any help appreciated 8)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I don't remember

Post by maboroshi »

I don't remember exactly what its called and google is revealing nothing with that name with my searches

I think its called a C Antenna

Bad Brain knows I was gonna get one but never did hopefully he can reply

TTYS Bro

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Cantenna. Also I'll be getting off my lazy ass and posting my tutorial for making a cheap mobile wireless dish that's supposed to extend your range by half a mile (according to my friend). I still haven't taken pictures of it in action (and I will do that when I don't have a lot of work). For me it only cost $5 just to buy the vegetable strainer dish. I was lucky enough to have a camera tripod lying around.

Last time I was going to post it, I had half of it typed up and then closed the window like an idiot (forgetting I had that typed out on another tab).

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Ok the bad news.

Imagine trying to scream a message to your buddy that is sitting across a crowded arena, with all rest of the fans screaming at the same time you are. Your friend simply wont hear you. Yes if you were closer he could, but for the moment he is out of range.

Then give your friend a sonic ear, (an antenna that you need in this case). All this does is amplify your voice along with the others as well. Still leaving your friend not understanding you.

My point is that a signal is transmitted at a given amplitude governed by the FCC. It is a form of frequency reuse, hince the weak signal transmission. An antenna can receive the signals and if faint can amplify them, but it also amplifys the noise; and in doing so causing a distorted signal reception.

The fact is; that an antanna is only as good as the transmitted signal and distance between the two. Good luck on this one.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

not free

Post by DNR »

also, McDonald's does NOT have free wifi, they use waypoint or something and charge you per hour.

If you are serious about this, don't waste time or money trying build crap, just buy one here http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/ind ... 2&FamID=58

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

different countries different rules

Post by computathug »

Here in the uk they provide free wifi. I can sit in the car park and use it.
I was also able to access it from a psp when travelling and thought it would be the same everywhere by now.

Thanks for the link DNR as that is what i was looking for. I have no intention of building anything similar and am looking for the quick solution of buying something to help me on my way and am not really worried about the cost as long as its less than $400 and this is only for a temperary option till i get connected.

Thanks for the help guys but if you still think this is a waste of money then i appreciate the comments and will just have to bide my time instead of being impatient.

Cheers

Thugz :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

cheap charlies

Post by DNR »

hey thugz!

That hawkings tech site is the best, I would personally get a high gain, directional ant. This can work if you get a wifi card that accepts BNC/SMA/TNC plugs. Otherwise, just get the smaller desktop, hi-gain parabolic dish with a USB plug, thats about $60.. Waay under the $400 you want to spend (more money for party!)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.