Dual, or Quad Core?

About your favorite games!
ulysse
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Dual, or Quad Core?

Post by ulysse »

Im in the process right now of building my sefl a pretty cool gaming PC. For now i got everything i need except the HDD and The CPU. Then i'm aiming really high perfomance CPU, probably one of the Core Extreme from Intel, but i can't decide myself between The Dual-Core Extreme Series and The Quad-Core Extreme Series. I'm not able to figure wich of both will perform better with high-end graphics on the latest games (wich is my goal). I know that quad core doesn't necessairly mean faster calculatings, so i wanted to know the opinions of more experienced folks in the subject. :D

Wich would be better to play latest games? Dual core or Quad Core?

Thanks for replies.
-Joie

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

If you're going for high performance, don't cheap out on the HDD, it can be a real bottleneck.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Seriously, what G-Brain said. At minimum go with a 7200RPM HDD. A 10k RPM HD is nice, but just icing on the cake. Also get a HD with 16MB of cache and a low seek and average latency. Oh, yea and make sure your motherboard can support SATA 3.0Gb/s.

As for your CPU, well, I can't really recommend a quad since games really don't utilize them as well as a dual, BUT they will be eventually. How long this will take I can't say. Also quads are mainly for people who multitask heavily (game, burn cd/dvd, encode video, etc; all at the same time). I cannot personally justify dropping $1500 an extreme series cpu.

So, If you want to play games well NOW I'd go with a dual core. I would suggest an E8400 (best price/performance ratio; can also be overclocked to 4GHz on air), E8500, or E8600.

If you multitask heavily (and want to plan ahead for future games) I would take a look at the Q6600.

EDIT: Actually If I were you, I would wait until Intel comes out with their new Nahalem processors. They should be coming out Q3 of this year which we're starting right now, I think.

Correction: They won't be available until Q4. That will be around December. According to Wikipedia, they will first release CPUs for high-end desktops and then around fall of next year release Nahalem for mainstream CPUs. Your budget will decide what you buy.
Last edited by Stavros on 31 Aug 2008, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

JuggaloMushroom

Re: Dual, or Quad Core?

Post by JuggaloMushroom »

ulysse wrote:Im in the process right now of building my sefl a pretty cool gaming PC. For now i got everything i need except the HDD and The CPU. Then i'm aiming really high perfomance CPU, probably one of the Core Extreme from Intel, but i can't decide myself between The Dual-Core Extreme Series and The Quad-Core Extreme Series. I'm not able to figure wich of both will perform better with high-end graphics on the latest games (wich is my goal). I know that quad core doesn't necessairly mean faster calculatings, so i wanted to know the opinions of more experienced folks in the subject. :D

Wich would be better to play latest games? Dual core or Quad Core?

Thanks for replies.
looking at how my stepdad's pc is pretty kick anus, I'D say quad core

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

definately a quad..even if you dont need it for your games now, over time more games coming out and higher specs, you'll already be set and won't have to dish out for another cpu :)

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

Right, i will probably aim for quad, even though i should listen to Stravos :? . But something else is bugging me on Intel's Website:
They say all their Exteme Edition CPUs are Quad Core, but i also noticed that list that just confused me.
http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Shop/Proc ... 00&fmlid=1

This select box lets you choose between Dual-Core and Quad-Core Extreme Editions... What the heck? So, now can somebody help clear me up on this? Does all Extreme Editions CPUs are Quad-Core?

Thanks
-Joie

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

If you have alot of money to drop on one, here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Gaming-PC_ ... dZViewItem

I will stick with my xbox for gaming :)

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

itzm3 wrote:If you have alot of money to drop on one, here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Gaming-PC_ ... dZViewItem

I will stick with my xbox for gaming :)
Hehe nice one, all tough my mobo and case is already bought... Really i only wanted to know if all Extreme CPUs were Quad core. But thats a nice build man, except for vista home maybe :x
-Joie

Grombo

Post by Grombo »

i had to face this question myself about 8 months ago, i chose a core 2 duo e6750, it's just like the Q6600 with half the cores, its still running sweet, handles gears of war like a charm, just every 10 mins or so, it freezes for a split second, no biggie.
i didnt get quad cozz i use my pc mainly for gaming and most games weren't optimized for quad yet, and i think that still is the case
[img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7766/impracticalskillslw4.gif[/img]

sahil22
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by sahil22 »

I prefer taking a Duel Core instead of a Quad Core

Apparently the Quad Core is meant for Workstations....mostly for the Multitaskers or the Graphic Designers.....You know what I mean.

So in case of a processor go for a Duel Core ...I suggest Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz as it can be overclocked to great extent...according to I/C Chip; these people overclocked it to staggering 4 Ghz...So as for you can make it work at probably 3.6-3.7 Ghz.....

And for the HDD you need to get a Raptor with a speed of 7200 RPM.

For more Processor related issues you can visit http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25360 ... q6600-quad
Its really easy to reach your goal....but really difficult to make the goal come to you!

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Raptors aren't 7200RPM HDs. Raptors are 10,000RPM HDs. Raptors aren't needed for a good gaming machine. They're certainly nice to have, but considering the price for much less storage space I would not heavily consider the idea unless the one purchasing the parts has a lot of money.

Besides the only real boost that a Raptor will provide is in boot up speed and loading maps for games which would only come in handy if you're playing a lot of tournaments for cash.