HARDWARE NOOB START LINE

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

HARDWARE NOOB START LINE

Post by str33tl0rd »

hello all,
i was wondering, if you could suggest a place where i could start with hardware...i don't really know much about it...?
thanx.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, this one might be a good start for the basics:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.ph ... =26&page=1

:wink:

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

thanx......but that tooo noobish...but still good

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

A+ cert

Post by DNR »

well in the usa, you are talking about A+ certification.
So you search for that keyword and get other cool sites like:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Plus_Certification

http://learnthat.com/certification/lear ... rdware.htm

http://aplus.atspace.org/fundamentals/toc.htm

That will get you started. And of course, hands-on is always the best, so get ready to take apart your computer. Remember to protect your box against Electrostatic Discharges - the best way is to keep it plugged in - the ground plug is grounding the chassis of the box and you will not get electrocuted unless you take apart the power supply.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

nice nice, very nice........a+certification, never had heard of that

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

We also have some nice tutorials here about building computers and such, and they cover hardware a little bit.

The A+ Certification is actually a very long class, and you have to pay for it. I personally took a crash-course in A+ recently, and they cover almost everything, even older hardware. The only thing it lacks in is networking knowledge.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Learn all yopu can!

Post by computathug »

I suggest trying to get your hands on some old towers and open them up and take a look. these maybe broke already so don't worry about anything this is just about how technology has evolved. Open them up and strip them down and look and learn about each piece.

When you open a tower just take a few seconds and look and what do you see? Some people see a small box full of electrical components where others see a jigsaw. When i was young i was one of them people that if something didn't work I took it apart. One was to see if i could get it working and the other was to see how it was made. The biggest mistake i made was when i was about 12 and was trying to fix a TV that was broke....I learned a shocking lesson from that experience.

As G-Man said there are some good tutorials on site so just take time to read a few. Don't be scared of taking something apart just make sure that list and monitor things as you do them. The amount of times i have put things back together and then still had spare parts is unbelievable lol.

:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

funny leftovers

Post by DNR »

lol, talk about taking stuff apart.
I once worked at a large car audio/alarm company. A newbie had the job of installing a stereo in a brandnew mercury cougar. When he was done, he got me, we sat in the the car looking at it- it looked fine and it worked. Then he held up his hand and opened it and said, "what do I do with these leftover screws?" he had 23 of them.

:lol:

Yea A+ almost covers nothing on networking stuff, if only to insert the NIC.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.