Retro gaming

About your favorite games!
ayu
Staff
Staff

Retro gaming

Post by ayu »

Retro gaming has a very special feeling to it, playing Super Mario World on SNES or kicking butts in Zero Wing on the Sega, I just love it, and I have a great passion for it.

It's like all the new games are getting more boring by the day, but the older games just never get old (in a sense). Ok so there are a few games that I really like that are pretty new, and some that I am waiting for and could kill to play :roll: *cough* starcraft 2, red alert 3, Diablo 3 *cough* , sorry, must have been something in my throat : )

It's like this, that there was a period when all the games kicked ass, and only the nerds played. And then the period came where the games got boring, and your sister would borrow your games because she thought it was kinda hip. Then the games started to get better graphics, introducing games like Battlefield 2, Gears Of War, World of Warcraft etc (generally games like that, you don't have to post here just to tell me that there were other games before that, because that is a given).

The first period was basically from day 1 in the life of gaming, when people would sit in front of the TV with a small black box with a button on it, and play pong, now that is a fucking kick ass game right there. And during the same period of gaming time (because I divide gaming periods into 3 periods, I'll come to the other ones shortly) we had Commodore, Amiga, NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive ... etc. Those were like the golden days of gaming to me, because all the real good games were made then. And it's games from this period that I also collect a lot, because when I was younger, I sold most of it because it was "outdated" and I got a Nintendo 64, which bored the fuck out of me, which in fact, brings us to the second period of gaming.

During the second period, we have consoles like Playstation, Nintendo 64 Sega Dreamcast. And generally the only good one amongst these two, was the Dreamcast, in my opinion. I mean, the Nintendo 64 and Playstation were like really lame attempts to make "good" 3D graphics, but it totally backfired and failed, almost as big of a fail as George W Bush. The Playstation had some good games though, like Red Alert, Command & Conquer, and the Final Fantasy series. While the Nintendo 64 had Super Smash brothers, and James Bond. But generally they sucked, and didn't bring me much joy over the years, just a waste of money (although I still have them left. Still worth being in my collection).

The third period was like another golden era or something, because there are a bunch of really good games for Xbox, Xbox 360, playstation 2, playstation 3, gamecube, Wii and of course computers (yeah PC's are included, and Mac's as well if you so wish). Games like Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R, crysis, Command and Conquer generals/Tiberium wars, Soul Calibur, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and so on and so forth. These are all really good games, and bring me much joy. But the problem is today that our attention spans are short now, and we need really good graphics and really good stories to even bother playing, like Half Life 2, now THAT is a good story, and a very good game with nice graphics.

But yeah, I'll wait for Red Alert 3, and the others ... and I'll see what will become of them. And until then, I'll just kill some schrooms on Super Mario :wink:

Does anyone else share this passion for games?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I use to have a snes, n64 and a Wii.

The best console ever was the snes... I play it a lot even now. I just finished chrono trigger... I like to play through all mario(all start) and world. I like playing korean style(keep the run and forward button) and jump when its necessary.

I found that new game have to much of cinematic... like mario galaxy.. it take you almost 30minutes before you start playing :S

However, emulation is pretty good :)

Here are some title on the snes Ive plyed recently:

Mario world
zelda
super punch out
earthbound(not well known... a must)
chrono trigger
mario1-2-3 + lost level(allstar)
Megaman X

You got any suggestion?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

thats not retro

Post by computathug »

Now what i call retro are games like kunfu master, yeha kingfoo, bank panic, space invaders, bomb jack, 1943, trojan, donkey kong and a whole lot more :lol:

If some of you younger members want to take a look at what some of us old fogies used to play take a look here :wink:

Code: Select all

http://www.1980-games.com/us/

classics of time 8)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

@Nerdz: I recommend Darius Twin, one of my favorites ^^ And one other, that I can't remember, will name it when I get it.

@Thuggy, I actually have Zelda 1 and 2 (in German though) for NES :P, planning to get some other ones like Turtles and Super Mario ^^

At the moment I mostly play Zero Wing on Sega Mega Drive, because I can't get passed that f*#!ing level! >_<

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Ok ill try it:D

@thug: Yeah I Had kungfu on a 54games cartridge! :D

I remember lolo was really challenging!

And BattleToad... IMPOSSIBLE!
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I was just going to make a "happy go lucky!" post for winning Mortal Combat for SNES on Ebay REALLY cheap... but I lost the auction... to someone else, who got it really cheap >_<

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

I had a couple emulators for NES/SNES/ect.. pretty much like some 4 gig torrent i found which had every old school game ever made on all systems for your pc, if you are intrested i will see if i can find it, just drop me a PM ;-)