SMTP Protocol, Standards and Evasion.

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

SMTP Protocol, Standards and Evasion.

Post by Big-E »

Problem: The current issue at hand is to develop a method to bind multiple IP addresses which are currently binded to the server ( 30 ) and have those all associated with different SMTP addresses. So for example, I would like the following:

Code: Select all

smtp1.my.domain > x.x.x.1
smtp2.my.domain > x.x.x.2
smtp3.my.domain > x.x.x.3
smtpN.my.domain > x.x.x.N

Currently, as defined by various RFCs I do not think that this is a possible scenario to accomplish and that will still comply with the strict rules. Servers at gmail, yahoo, hotmail and various other ISPs will just assume it as junk the second they do a reverse lookup on the MX record and they don't match up.

Solution: Currently, I have none other than creating multiple domain's and assigning them each an IP address to their MX record, through BIND.

Your thoughts?

PS. I am very good for the Canadian economy, more specifically the forestry sector. I just printed off 3 RFCs and walked away to do some work and came back to 300+ pages - should have looked before I clicked print. Opps.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, assigning a different IP per domain is no problem via MX record for that domain, but assigning a different IP per email address (same domain) is not possible...you only can set multiple MX records with different priorities (if the mail server with priority 10 fails the next one with priority 20 is used for example):

Code: Select all

IN     MX     10  mail.foo.com.
IN     MX     20  mail2.foo.com.