Dress Code in School.

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dress Code in School.

Post by Stavros »

As I have several forums I visit, I got to reading a thread on Dress Code in Schools. I want to know other people's thoughts on it.

Personally, I hate dress codes. Not for the "conformity," but I think it would only be an attempt to mask a problem. For example: some people argue that it would cut down on violence or that the people that can't afford the designer label clothes would feel better. Potentially true, but I call bullshit. It might cut down on violence, but when personalities clash and tempers flare people might fight regardless. As to poor people that can't afford designer labels, I really call bullshit because I was best friends with the poorest dude (who is really cool and funny) in our grade and no one picked on him because he wore jeans, t-shirts and ratty shoes to school. Example: Yesterday we had Class Day where the Seniors got noticed for awards they had gotten. My best friend came with a white t-shirt, blue jeans and tatty shoes and was like, "What?? You didn't believe I didn't have nice clothes?" We all got a good laugh (the guys sitting at our table in the library), but he laughed along too. Like I said, he's a cool guy that can take a joke. He didn't care about Class Day anyway.

Now, I want to hear other peoples opinions!

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

I have a few things to say about this..but I'll only say 1...

It's because we have to buy school clothes that I really don't have any clothes for "outside of school" unless they're given to me.

ANd..I agree...no one gives a fuck what others wear..people nowadays are starting to realize that it's simply because they can't afford some stuff.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

punks, preppies, and jocks

Post by DNR »

I was a loner in high school, fresh in a new neighborhood. It was a school of jocks and preppies, and I was niether.
I went through freshman year by myself, maybe hanging out with a stoner, only because they were outcasted too. War with jocks and preppies raged, fist fights.
In my sophmore year, this punk rocker and I became friends and I hung out with a group of only 14 punkers. By always fighting back, and even fighting dirty, we stopped 1,500 preps and jocks from screwing with the underclassed people, like us.
By Senior year, it was easy going, some jocks and preps even 'converted' to punk.
The hurtful experience of this was not the kids doing hurtful things - they were kids afterall. The real hurt was adults perpetuating the cycle of jocks and preps - and condoned prejudice against the geek that didn't fit in to those two classes. The adults stifled freedom of thought if it didn't comform with their rules of conduct. They taught kids a new way to hate- they taught me that there is punishment for those that do not conform to trends, style, and politics. Jocks and preppies were rewarded with special priviledges, passing grades, overlooked infractions. Ugly people got bad grades on their speeches or papers.

Find your band of brothers and sisters, in numbers we are stronger. Support your peers and stand for what is right.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Re: Dress Code in School.

Post by LaBlueGirl »

I don't know how high school is anymore b/c I have been out of it for 10 years now:)

Uniforms are ok, but they do stifle individual creativity.

They cut down on ppl violating regulations like short skirts or revealing shirts (the preps could get away with it, but us tree freaks couldn't).
It cuts down the fashion shows some groups put on: who has the most expensive shoes, who went shopping at Banana Republic, who can afford what, etc etc. (Frivolous, really.)

In theory, it can cut down on social divisions based on attire, but the attitude of ppl in general is expressed by their clothes (esp in high school situations). So you can change the clothes but not the person.

In theory, it can cut down on gang-related associations, but again it is the person in particular with this attitude and affiliation. The clothes do not make the man, so to speak.

It does however, make the student more easily recognizeable in cases like skipping school.

By the time I graduated in '96, the mentality about cost of clothing was more lax than in previous years. It just depended on what clique you ran with. You want to be a prep, you have to dress like one and so on and so forth.
In our group of misfits/social outcasts/tree freaks (as we were called), it didn't matter what you wore. In fact, we all took pride in shopping at the thrift stores and wearing the craziest 'fits possible:)

The other cliques thought we were throwed off and all, but they didn't care what we wore b/c it was our style. If we wanted to dress in their style tho, we had to buy the more expensive, trendy crap.

School uniforms do have merit, but not exactly for all the reasons the educators and administrators claim.

You are at school to learn first and foremost. Fashion is important to many youths, but it should not overshadow education.

Personally, I would rather no uniforms, so ppl can express themselves creatively in their clothing. But uniforms do have a good side, too.

And it sure makes it easier to get up and dressed in the morning when you don't have to decide what to wear:)

Man, responding to this post makes me feel OLD :lol:
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

A couple things I forgot to mention. Our school tried to do the whole "Tuck in your shirt" crap. For the first month or so everyone complied then it got to be a hassle and everyone said "Fuck that" and walked around with untucked shirts (Oooh. We're criminals! [/sarcasm]) and when the faculty would tell us to tuck in our shirts we just said "Okay" and walked away.

I feel uniforms are redundant. Lets say people in the US have uniforms throughout Middleschool and Highshschool. Then as they go to college...guess what?? No uniforms. So what exactly have they learned? Not a damn thing. It's like wiping before you poop.

I can sort of relate this to Minoriy Report (If you havent seen it click here.

While I don't doubt that it could potentially cut down on crime, it goes along with the Fate vs. Choice argument (See Minority Report hyperlink). Safe and Free aren't necissarily synonymous.

LaBlueGirl

Post by LaBlueGirl »

When one gets to college, it is assumed the person is older (duh lol), wiser and capable of making "better" life choices.

The main reason I know of for having younger ppl wear uniforms is the focus on education (which I can accept), crime (which IMNSHO only works in theory) and ending class/social discrimination (see the former).

By the time you get to college, you can go even in your PJ's (I've done that more times than I can count).
Ppl are in college b/c they want to be, it is no mandatory like earlier education. So while there is still some focus on attire (for whatever reason), there is a naturally larger attention placed upon education.

Still, Stavros. I think uniforms are a dumb idea :)
Also, pls realize I went to a high school where we had a police station on campus, barbed wire around the fences in the back of the school, rent-a-cops galore and fights during school hours like you prolly can't conceive of :) I've seen 5 ppl jump someone, a girl get a chunk of hair ripped out and her back was covered in blood, a big guy beating the crap out of a 4 foot skinny guy with the dude's own backpack (I stopped that one, and am damn proud lol. It was a biiiig dude, man and I made a friend for it, too).

I can understand why my alma mater decided on uniforms (after I left, thank the gods). It may or may not help, and it may or may not be for the reasons the school thinks it does.

But tucking in your shirts.... That's ludicrous :)
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR