Learning php without a server??

Questions about programming languages and debugging
ilkjester
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Learning php without a server??

Post by ilkjester »

I have decided I want to learn my first real programming language. I was going to learn Visual basic 2008 although my computer sucks and lags so bad running Microsoft Visual basic express. So I gave up on it for now. So I was wondering is it possible to learn php without a web sever. My Computer only has 3 gigs left on it or I was just going to install everything with Windows xp still on it. I do have a really small 4 gig hard drive laying around I could put together a computer. If that's big enough.
edit, glitch mob,sage francis, prefuse 73, gousien, andre nickatina, guilty simpson, j dilla, stones throw, mf doom, atmosphere, aesop rock, alias, block head, boom bip, dose one, busdriver, ttc, cannibal ox, dabrye, girl talk, heiroglyphics,2 mex, look d

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, learning a language without a real way to test your code is very hard, so imo it's a must.
you have 2 choices:

- you install XAMPP on your Windows box which provides a fully functional Apache web server with PHP and Perl support, works pretty out of the box:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

- or you set up a real Linux server, the 4 GB HDD is big enough, even for a desktop environment, of course I recommend Debian.

the latter option is of course more work, but it provides also possibilities and you can learn about Linux too at the same time.

:wink:

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

Yeah the only problem I would have setting up a real linux server is the whole wireless thing. Although I could always buy a crossover cable that would work wouldn't it?
edit, glitch mob,sage francis, prefuse 73, gousien, andre nickatina, guilty simpson, j dilla, stones throw, mf doom, atmosphere, aesop rock, alias, block head, boom bip, dose one, busdriver, ttc, cannibal ox, dabrye, girl talk, heiroglyphics,2 mex, look d

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, that's how my boxes are connected too....both systems have 2 NICs, one is connected to the router and the 2nd ones are used to connect the boxes directly via crossover cable. wire connections are very simple to set up... :wink:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hmm, I'm currently constructing a site in HTML, just to learn how it goes, and after mastering HTML I want to learn PHP. So what you say that I have to set up a server to learn PHP best?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sure...I mean, in first place you will need an opportunity to test your PHP sites, HTML can be simply tested by using the browser, but as you know this is not working with PHP pages.
there are surely some visual development apps that can be also used to view a PHP site too, but that's like testing a new designed car in a laboratory....you have to do the test in a realistic environment to be sure, and this also gives you the opportunity to learn how the settings on the server affect the behavior of your code... :wink:

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I used EasyPHP when I was going to learn php. It's really easy and fast to set up and lets you test your scripts.

Code: Select all

http://www.easyphp.org/index.php