Extreme overclocking - world record

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Extreme overclocking - world record

Post by Still_Learning »

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNkdWBqkN4&feature=related
amazing lol

What program are they useing to test the speed of the overclocking? I am useing cpu-z right now.. but seem to have problems overclocking because my bios does not have that option. Do i need to upgrade my bios firmware? is it easy, just copy to HD and retreive from HD or does it have to be from a flash drive or cd? I am running a amd 64 x2 4000+ processor, bios has no chipset options
Gone

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

also useful on hot summer days, produces a nice and cool climate in your room... :lol:

they used 3DMark for the benchmarking: http://www.futuremark.com/
I am not really a friend of overclocking (at least not on my systems), I will even underclock my new system...I am a silence freak...:lol: if your mainboard supports it depends on the BIOS version used by the manufacturer and from the CPU, a BIOS update doesn't necessarily enable overclocking features. upgrading BIOS can not be done from the system HDD because you need to boot the firmware updater which does the job on a lower level than the OS one, it can be done via floppy, CD or USB (if booting from USB is supported).
using the latest firmware is generally a good practice because it fixes bugs and can make your system more stable.....the mainboard BIOS is not the only firmware in your system than can be upgraded, a while ago I upgraded the firmware of my DVD drives for example.

but back to overclocking:
to be honest I don't recommend it until you haven't done all possible system optimizations, on hardware- and on software-level...overclocking always reduces the lifetime of the system and/or increases the noise level.

:wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I guess my BIOS does not have that option , it would be nice to upgrade the BIOS firmware though.. just to know how to do it. What would happen if i messed up on the upgrade? I would have to pull the cmos battery out and retry again?

Thanks i will try out the 3d bench marking.. im training for my A+ and overclocking and all this stuff i think will help me with learning diffrent chipsets, processor types, ect.. I may try to overclock my older PC for fun then. If the processor melts then i will have a good reason to learn how to install a new one
Gone

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, "messing up" during the firmware update can kill the mainboard...but the only way to "mess up" is to pull the power plug during the update procedure... :lol: updating is usually very simple, you put the firmware image on a floppy or CD, then boot from it and initiate the update process from a menu which takes just a few minutes... :wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Thanks B-B , you always come threw with the truth. I will try it out and hopefully not blow out my processor in the process. Prob a stupid question, but does it have to be an upgrade from the same chipset/cpu manucaturar say like mines AMD, i have to get it from them? or is their 3rd party ones that are better?
Gone