Zypad WR1100 wrist-worn personal computer

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Zypad WR1100 wrist-worn personal computer

Post by DNR »

http://www.parvus.com/products/ProductP ... ductID=165

Parvus Corporation unveiled the Zypad WR1100, a rugged, wrist-worn personal computer at MILCOM 2008 in San Diego. The new gear conforms with MIL-STD-810F environmental and MIL-STD-461E EMI requirements, suitable for military and defense applications. The x86 compatible modular computer can be worn comfortably on the user's wrist for hands-free operation. It can be configured to access any remote host system through its integrated wired and/or wireless interfaces using its Linux operating system.The unit integrates a number of innovative features, including 802.11 and Bluetooth/Zigbee interfaces, a GPS receiver, electronic compass, biometric fingerprint sensor, and a tilt-and-dead reckoning system that detects the position of the user's arm and sets the system to standby mode when the arm is hanging down beside the body. The wearable PC can be configured for specific missions by replacing a mission specific module. If the user wishes to switch from a GPS receiver to a GPRS module, for example, this can be done through a simple, plug-and-play, hot swap operation. The battery module can also be easily removed and replaced in the field with hot swapping functionality.

Next year's christmas wish list...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

That's kind of cool, but I do have a nerd streak in me. I don't expect people to be wearing computers any time soon. I am however inventing a new type of computer that people would love to wear, also I am hoping that the military may be interested.

Nice find DNR.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I would definitely wear one, looks pretty "borg"-like.... :D
too bad that there is no price info to find.... :-k

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

In no way would I wear that.. there has got to be better ideas to constintly have a pc on you.

like the newer EEE pc's that have 7 inch lcd screens wih solid state drives.

or a t mobile google phone with 16 gb's of space

that thing screams "hey look at me and the weird thing on my arm"

even as a navy seal if that thing was waterproof it would be too clunky to wear. and it looked very hard to send info, no keypad. a waterproof, drop down keyboard would be ideal. keypad being like what people send text messages on phones, small but easy to use. The thing looks like it weighs too much and would probuly slow me down, unless i used it as a club.
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

It is used for mil applications, it likely is menu driven/mouse tip.
Guns or helmet mounted cameras would not be on this system, but its available, probably looks clunky too if you were a lame civilian.

Other body worn computers I have seen use goggles to display nfo and the user has a keyboard/mouse tip mounted on his waist. The battery and Pc is mounted on his belt as well. I guess the only problems was the Blindguy/big dark glasses looking motherfucker look and major eye strain.
the problem with Iphones, and other mobile handheld dildos is the fact its usually propriety OS, drivers and wimpy CPU. The idea behind body worn computers is to allow user-driven mobile technology at cheap expense.

Hope you don't make it into the army, they might make you wear that.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I would love to use one of those. The description comes pretty close to something the military uses today: The FBCB2 system. Mainly it is used to track friendly/enemy/neutral units withing an area, and is also equipped with a gps and vhf/uhf antennas...

I love it. 8)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

haha .. ok lame civilian

the Military has enough money to make their own mini phone/GPS/secret software/pc/device, maybe they are cheap and useing old parts to build them, thats why they are so huge and clunky. If they really wanted to though they can make smaller light weight ones that do the same thing.
and if i was in the service and had to wear one of those then i would and im sure it services alot of important purposes, i just think they could build a better one which is easier to carry. With all these billions were spending on the war, give our military the most up to date stuff to work with
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

not to be a dick about it - but that was taken from a milspec hardware site. The .mil does not make their own shit, they buy it like the rest of us.
I would be interested in seeing what you can build though, should be real interesting...

DNR
-

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:not to be a dick about it - but that was taken from a milspec hardware site. The .mil does not make their own shit, they buy it like the rest of us.
I would be interested in seeing what you can build though, should be real interesting...

DNR
I'm looking into the open source hardware so it will be something cool.. watch out now! I apologize for dissing your computer armband if you are really taking it to heart like that :lol:

Maybe we need people to build better equipment for our military and better weapons. Can not be that hard. Im talking about some bad ass super missle luancher with 6 missle rounds slash .45 or 50 caliber machine gun bullets , with super lightweight everything including full body armour camelion ninja style protective suit, ect.. any kind of super weapon you could build now for soldiers would probuly make alot of money, like when dragonscale body armour came out. Just make something that will improve our militarys force and you will bank.
Gone