Looking for a new external HD [solved]

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Looking for a new external HD [solved]

Post by isapiens »

Hey guys, i was going to buy a new external HD. My good old 160GB WD is just not working out anymore lol.

So i was looking at getting a 1TB one. I was thinking about sticking with Westernal Digital cuz i was rather pleased with their product that i previoulsy owned.

Here are the HDs i found on newegg. Let me know what you think.
Also let me know if you have any other suggestion!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136321

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136299

One other thing i was wondering about. Do they have 1TB HDs that dont need a power supply? My friend has one of those but it is only 160GB.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

Actually, i think you have a pretty good deal if you stick to newegg this time. Even Ebay doesn't have it at 110$!
Plus free shipping... That's pretty cool too. Personally i would choose the first one just because its cheaper than the first one.
-Joie

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I like the company and the price. The only hesitation I had was only buying one HDD. The old rule of not relying on one device for storage made me consider - Why not buy two devices? I considered buying two 500 GB external HDD and make it function as a RAID, one HDD backs up the important data from the other. BUT, price wise - you might as well buy two TB HDD - as the price is only $20 more than a 500 GB HDD.

You get what I am saying? Don't invest in one HDD and put all that time and work into downloading gbs of data and then lose it all when the ONE device fails on you. The second HDD is your safety, mirroring the first HDD. I looked at a 4- bay Western Digital WDA4NC20000N 2TB Network Storage Here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136307 But you can find your own RAID software and build your own system for half that price

The internal HDD in your box should only have the OS, drivers and commonly used apps. The internal HDD should be considered temporary and easily replaced, formatted and reinstalled if infected or just bogged down from too many installs/uninstalls. The External HDD should be secured from the internal HDD, isolated to protect it from infection or intrusion.

DNR
Last edited by DNR on 23 Dec 2008, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

Totally agree with you DNR. I dont have the money for that now, but eventually that is my goal.

What do you think about this bad bow?!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136136

From what i understand you can set up RAID with it. I am not sure if it as safe as just buying 2 hds.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Looks good, but its almost an extra $200 for two things - the software for RAID included, and basically a box with a fan. If you think about it, you can build a RAID using a empty computer case. The computer case can provide a PSU, fans, and bays for your HDD, slots for USB or ethernet, all for cheap. So really you have to consider how much do you want to pay for the software or can you get it for free?
This is a good example of how hacking your own system can save you some money, about $200 to $400.
From what i understand you can set up RAID with it. I am not sure if it as safe as just buying 2 hds.
Remember, its not -just- two HDDs, but a storage system we are talking about. The RAID is that storage system - I would only discuss RAID because you are probably planning on putting hundreds of movies, thousands of music and pictures, - GBs of data into storage, and that is worthy of the protection of a RAID type storage system.

DNR
*sorry about so many edits today, I am too busy and forgetful today..
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Yes setting up a RAID could be another solution to store data safely. Another one would be to set up a computer on your LAn with several 500GB or 1TB HD's and install FreeNAS. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

i am happy burning dvds, dropping them wont make them useless and they're dirt cheap :D

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

my games are bigger than normal dvds... recently every game is like 7-8GB
PS: i just noticed that link DNR, now thats a monster. one day .... one day...

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

go for it!

my friend was like "im gunna get a 320 gig external hdd at 140 bucks" and i was like "fuck that,i just got a 500 gig one for 89 bucks,in the end i got him a western digital one which was slightly better in looks and speed for 109 bucks and he was very pleased,cos he payed 109 bucks for a 500 gig instead of 140 for a 320 gig,so yeah go for it,i would if i didnt owe my frend 400 for a pda i bought of him

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I recently got a 320 gig external Western digital MyBook esata, and would defintely NOT recommend the Western digital mybook to anyone.

Reason: It does not file share on a network. Ive called WD tech support they also advised me you can not share files on a network with it, not even a local network. Ive looked for hacks and tried many diffrent things to get around it and make it work on a network , googled , it seems to be impossible. There maybe some way to hack it, or flash the firmware or something but it would just be easier to do what DNR advised
if you are going to use them on a network dont get an external drive. They are useful for backing up your HD, or apps, movies, music though (main reason i got mine)
Gone

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

wy did you buy those mybook things,they look bulgy,i read a review in a magazine,i think "pc user" or "pc authority" anyways,if u wanna use a webserver software on one basic computer and share your files with that,i suggest wamp

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

rhysh wrote:wy did you buy those mybook things,they look bulgy,i read a review in a magazine,i think "pc user" or "pc authority" anyways,if u wanna use a webserver software on one basic computer and share your files with that,i suggest wamp
I have always been happy with the internal Western digital HD's , so decided to try out the external one. At the time of purchase i checked reviews on pc magazine, nu egg and others and they all recommended the my books highly. Not really needing a webserver file sharing software, the my books dont share files at all on a network. There is some chip or something in them which blocks it from being shared on a network. Lesson learned, will not buy another mybook. thanks though
Gone

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

btw totally forgot to tell you guys i got my 1 terra byte external HD by Wester Digital. Pretty happy about it so far. Its awesome. cheers

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Nice one Isapiens.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay?

Hope you got a good deal on it :wink: