Resistor Question

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Resistor Question

Post by str33tl0rd »

hello all,
i read that resistance increases if resistors are placed in series, proven by this equation E = I × (R1 + R2); where e = voltage, I = current and R = resistance/resistors.

But i have a found a little way, i don't know if its a solid way to prove this wrong or is even a right way.

Anyways, whatever it might be, i want someone to correct me. So here it is:

As we know conductance is known in the units of Siemens usually abbreviated to "G" . And in a conductor, conductance is the reciprocal of resistance and vice versa. Therefore, G= 1/R and R = 1/G.

I have 3 resistors in series all 100 ohms. Lets convert this to Siemens..it will be 1/100 = 0.01. Now lets add the simens together...it will be 0.01 + 0.01 + 0.01...as there is 3 resistors. Which is 0.03, if i now convert this back to ohms, it should be 1/0.03 = 33.3 ohms.

which is a decrease not an increase!!
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well I like the way your thinking. But your wrong

You said this
I have 3 resistors in series all 100 ohms. Lets convert this to Siemens..it will be 1/100 = 0.01. Now lets add the simens together...it will be 0.01 + 0.01 + 0.01...as there is 3 resistors. Which is 0.03, if i now convert this back to ohms, it should be 1/0.03 = 33.3 ohms.
Reworded

Code: Select all

3 resistors in series at 100 Ω = 300 Ω Rt G = 1/R so this comes out to 1/300 = .003G
Let me make it a bit more clear. Your correct about everything except the equation when adding G in series.

Code: Select all

Given  G= 1/R 
Since series resistance is R1 + R2 + R3 ...Rn 
then series G is 1 / (R1 + R2 + R3...Rn)
Hope this helps

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

that did help thanks man...this was annoyin' me for 2 days.
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Just remember that Energy can not be created or destroyed This statement, erg fact, can sum up everything in life. Nothing is free!

Peace

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

yer i read that statement somewhere else too. thanks.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

floodhound2 wrote:Just remember that Energy can not be created or destroyed This statement, erg fact, can sum up everything in life. Nothing is free!

Peace
If energy can not be destroyed where does it go? does it get saved somewhere for later use? ISP?
Gone

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

If energy can not be destroyed where does it go? does it get saved somewhere for later use? ISP?
It's simple physics, it can change into different forms.

Energy can change into mass, and mass into energy - that is where you get chemical reactions, and even light!

This transformation is probably one of the best known mathematical theories in the world - E = MC^2

Energy, is equal mass multiplied by the speed of light, squared.

This is one product of the theory of relativity.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Energy is everything! Water, farts, and anything else you think of. Its maybe not energy that can run your car or computer but its energy.

Like when a car hits another car. Things happens to the cars. They change shape, make noise and omit heat. This is all kinds of energy changing forms, some is sound (boom!), some heat(fire), some skid marks on the road.

Even you are energy.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

sooooo :roll: when can we shoot energy out of our mouths just as in DragonBall Z XD
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

lol, i don't know anything about your mouth; but i know much about my asshole...it is full of energy when it has to empty itself as floody mentioned.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

stay on topic guys... :P

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

n3rd wrote:sooooo :roll: when can we shoot energy out of our mouths just as in DragonBall Z XD
Not quite soon. But sound comes out of the mouth and that a form of energy. Also bad breath which is energy as well.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

As others have said, there are various types of energy. A simple rubbing of the hands creates energy .... heat.

A bobsleigh creates a lot of kinetic energy.

Take a look here for more information!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Off-topic = wasted potential energy

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.