Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

windows 7 put to the test [in progress?]

Post by rhysh »

ok o i decided im going to put windows 7 to the test,as much as i hate the idea

the specs here are

40 gb hdd
512 mb ram,will increase to 4 gb 2X2 ddr2
pentium 4 @ 2.4 ghz

i will put a comparison to it and win xp pro,vista home premium and maybe in future on a qaud core system

i will also once my laptops fixed put it on that

the specs i dont remember off the back of my hand,anyways ill let you know how it goes

ok so i copied n pasted the specs of my model of another site

the laptop i will run tests on in a week or 2

ASUS M51VR-AP045C NOTEBOOK

Code: Select all

#
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
#
Processor & Cache Memory Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor: 2.26 GHz, 800MHz, 6/3MB On-Die L2 Cache;
#
Chipset Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset +ICH9M
#
Main Memory DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket for expansion up to 4GB SDRAM
*Due to the 32-bit operation system's limitation, only 3GB will show up with a 4GB memory. The 64-bit operating system will not have this issue. For more information, please check Microsoft's support site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/94600. Intel® Turbo Memory Technology with 1GB NAND Flash(optional) Intel® Turbo Memory Technology with 2GB NANDFlash (optional)
#
Display 15.4" WXGA/WXGA+/WSXGA+ Color-Shine (Glare-type), Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology
#
Video Graphics & Memory Embedded Intel® GMA X4500HD (GM45)
#
Hard Drive 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 250GB,5400rpm
#
DVD Super Multi
#
Card Reader 8-in-1 card reader: SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,mini SD w/ adapter,MS-Duo,MS-Pro Duo via adapter
#
Video Camera 1.3 Mega Pixel swivel web camera
#
Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN: Intel® WiMAX/WiFi Link 5100, Integrated Intel® High Definition Audio chip ( Azalia) compliant MDC fax/modem and 10/100/1000 Base T, Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.0+EDR (optional feature) (optional feature)
#
LED Status Indicator: Power-on/Suspend, Battery Charging/full/low, Storage device access, Capital / Scroll / Number Lock, Wireless on status indicator (optional) Bluetooth on status indicator (optional feature)
#
Interface: 1 x Express card, 1 x Microphone-in jack, 1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF), 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor, 4 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x IEEE 1394 port 1 x RJ11 Modem jack for phone line, 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1 x HDMI 1 x E-SATA
#
Hot Keys : Touchpad Lock,Internet access,Splendid, Power4Gear eXtreme, Function Keys: Fn+F2 Bluetooth switch, Fn+F1 Suspend switch, Fn+F2 WLAN/Bluetooth switch, Fn+F3 Access to the E-mail, Fn+F4 Access to the Internet, Fn+F5 Brightness down, Fn+F6 Brightness up, Fn+F7 LCD on/off, Fn+F8 LCD/CRT switch display, Fn+F9 TouchPad Lock, Fn+F10 Volume on/mute, Fn+F11 Volume down
Fn+F12 Volume up, Fn+Num Lk: Scroll Lock on/off, Fn+Space Power 4Gear eXtreme, Fn+C Splendid
Fn+T Power4Phone, Fn+V: Life Frame, Fn+↑: Stop, Fn+↓: Play/Pause, Fn+ ←:Skip to Previous Track
Fn+ →:Skip to Next Track
#
Audio: Built-in Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex, Built-in speaker and microphone
#
KeyBoard: 340mm keyboard with numeric key, 19mm full size 88 Key with MS Windows function keys
#
AC Adapter Output: 19 V DC, 4.7 A, 90W, Input 100 - 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
#
Dimension & Weight 36.5 x 26.9 x 2.8 - 4.0 cm (W x D x H), 2.95 kg, (with 6 cell battery)
#
Security: BIOS Booting / HDD User Password Protection and security lock, Kensington lock hole, TPM(Trusted Platform Module) V1.2 (optional)
#
Supplied Accessories: Optical Mouse, Carrying bag
#
Multimedia Software: ASUSDVD 6-in-1, Preinstall PowerDVD v7 (*For Basic & Business only)
Preinstall Power2Go v5, Bundle ASUSDVD 6-in-1 CD (*For Basic & Business only), Bundle Power2Go CD (*For Premium & Ultimate) Note: Premium & Ultimate are with MCE from Windows Vista support,
Virus & Tool Software Norton™ Internet Security 2008, Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0, NERO 7 Essentials
ASUS Utility Asus Win flash for BIOS and Driver live Update, ASUS CopyProtect, ASUS SmartLogon
Asus Power4Gear eXtreme, Asus Live Update, Asus Multi-Frame, Power 4 Phone, Asus NB Probe +
ASUS Life Frame 3, ASUS Wireless Console, Asus Data Security Management(ADSM), Virtual Camera

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

where is the BEEF!

Post by DNR »

and how did the install go? Did you get the CD case open yet?
Got nothing here on windows 7..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

ummmm no im gunnna use 160 gig hdd and install opnce im ifinish reading up here

when my laptops fixed ill run it on thee too,then probly run xp on that,as i always wanted,i have to reformat that because the new hdd to replace the defective one come with pre installed vista :(

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

rhysh wrote:ummmm no im gunnna use 160 gig hdd and install opnce im ifinish reading up here

when my laptops fixed ill run it on thee too,then probly run xp on that,as i always wanted,i have to reformat that because the new hdd to replace the defective one come with pre installed vista :(

Dont run it. I tried installing win 7 on a 1 GB ram DDR2 pc with higher specs and it was just enough (but worked, not good though). half a GB for ram i would not suggest. Your pc will be alot better off with an XP version, or Linux. formatting your drive from vista is a breeze, if you need help PM me. I also have genuwine copy of win 7 4 beta testing.
Gone

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

ummm,dude ud be amazed what this pc will tke

i run progs of here that should be ran on 2 gig and a dual core,no lag

anyways the windows 7 shit

runs alot faster,but really im glad i only installed it on an old 40 gig drive

the setup took a while,probly because the hdd is slow,idk i didnt check what rpms it does,i think 5200,ill look later

windows 7 runs fine even on this 128 mb video card by nvidia

anyways ive only used for a litle while,2 hours,i will put it to the test with some games,and when i use it on my laptop,ill give it all i got,i probly wont test on a qaud core anytime soon,but anyone who has please say what it was like

another thing i noticed is,there is stuff missing

for example

right click on desktop and select customize

there is no customize feautre so why put a link there

anyways

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I have been testing win 7 for a while and truely beleive it to be alot better then XP

It will prob work on your system w/ 1/2 a GB ram but that is suppose to be the very minimum requirement for win 7 i will try and find the link for the win 7 sys req if you really want. I know the very minimum is 512MB ram though, 5200RPM HD is not good as well, i thought standard was atleast 7200 now? I would not say you are getting the full windows experience with those specs.
Gone

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

dw sl,ill try it on the laptop,which has a 7200 sata drive,but im not worried particuly

why fix it if it aint broke,i tried putting it on my 160 gig hdd 7200 rpm but it didnt like the dirve,said wasnt ntfs formatted which it actually is,anyways,im still liking xp alot better,xp rarely crashes,windows 7 already did when i selected hibernate instead of shutdown,to be exact,just kill the proccess csrss.exe,it looked like that,and i thuink thats what crashed,but i didnt kill that proccess

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

well im officialy ditching windows 7

it doesnt even detect my modern speakers....gay

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

rhysh wrote:well im officialy ditching windows 7

it doesnt even detect my modern speakers....gay
Windows 7 is long before release, I doubt they will have all drivers ready in a beta version.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

wait 1 week and ill test on laptop

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

update

windows live emssenger wont work on it

i have diisabled firewalls etc

im only using it right now because my hdd running windows xp died

anyways all this has really is a few minor touch ups,nothing major and i wouldnt recomend it,i woyuld recomend window xp however[/b]

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well you could always use a live CD!

When a hdd is dead these are the internet superstars of the world :wink:

Anyway, thanks for your personal views on Windows 7

*topic locked* as there's not much more to say without it going way off topic!!!