Linux ?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Linux ?

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well,im a compuholic i spend almost all my day on the internet reading tutorials,programming,chatting,learning about new things.I have gained many gd knowledge but still im on windows.I kno its kinda wierd but i dont kno the reason why i should switch into linux :? .I kno its stable with no viruses,malware,bugs and i didnt really had major problems with all of these(only a stupid would click a strange exe or beleive that he's the 99,999 winner :P ).I went to ubunutforums and i kept reading,almost all users are still dual booting with windows.Eg:if i want to use Dreamweaver or flash or any app...can i use it on linux ? + my friend installed fedora and found it fun in the first couple of days but then he had major problems with installing applications,we wanted to install realplayer so he surfed the internet for hours just to find special packages for realplayer.... :!: i like ur opinion in this before i install any linux distro :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

for most MS programs there are substitutes on Linux, but if you want to use programs that are only available for MS you can use Wine:
http://www.winehq.org/download

for the start I also recommend to set up a dual-OS system, at least until you have found the Linux distro you like and made sure it works properly on your system.

personally I (of course ^^) recommend Debian, but Ubuntu is also a good choice I guess...at least those 2 are the most used distros amongst the suck-o users and so people could give you the best support... :wink:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well some times you end up looking hours for packages that you need or solving some problem but than again you say your self that you spend entire days on your comp so that should not be too much of a problem for you?! :wink: Besides that in linux you have applications for almost every thing you need. Forget about realplayer and use VLC to play your movies. You have gimp instead of Photoshop and like b_b said you can use wine to run the windows programs that you need on your linux distro. In the end you see that it really is not all that hard. I have been using linux now for two years and I feel no regrets for dumping windows. :wink: :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, yeah, forgot to mention that a part of being a Linux user is having to spend time with figuring things out. sometimes you simply have to google and look for solutions, there is no distro where everything is guaranteed to work out of the box.....this is maybe a little annoying when you are used to Windows, but this way you are forced to learn at the same time, in Linux YOU are the boss and have to be active, in Windows you are more like a guest where the OS is the boss and sets the limits.

:wink:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Good analogy

Post by lilrofl »

Good analogy b_b, Linux you have to be proactive... and windows you get to kind of be inactive. I definitely duel booted for years though, and now I run a windows system for games. you can WINE games sometimes, but I never got Fable to work right, and at the time that seemed important. Incidentally, I never got my hotkeys to work right on that computer in Linux either...

I thought Mandriva was pretty easy to start with, and I checked out Mint as well (very easy to use, and huge forum and community support available for that one) the reason I didn't go Mint is kind of silly also I suppose, the opening screen was blue and white instead of green and white like the good lord intended mint to look... first impressions are a big deal when evaluating a distro.

I swear someday I will give Debian a go... but only because it's so strongly encouraged by this group, and the support is available if I run into problems, but it probably wont be until August when I get access to better internet and it doesn't take a frikkin week to download an ISO.

Cheers =)

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well,i got a copy of ubuntu,booted the cd from the bios,clicked on english for choose ur langage then install ubuntu and here comes the scary part : P i got a black screen(worse than window's blue screen :P )

Code: Select all

udevd -event(1530) rum-program : '/sbin/modprope' abnormal exit........
:roll: :cry: What seems to be happening....i partitioned the hard disk and everything...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, how many HDDs you have in the system? and what kind of computer is it? a laptop? :-k

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well its a toshiba laptop with 1 HDD of course (no external)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I had this problem with a toshiba satelite pro. It was caused by a bad installation disk. Try using Koppix or BT£ or another live cd to see if the hardware is all ok.

If it is i recommend trying another disk! :wink:

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

I dont like dual booting at all, i feel my hard drives are not used efficiently.
Its just a psychological thing, but i hate it.

So my desktop has vista, so that i can games on it and ofcourse DX 10, and watch HD movies. Linux doesnt do well with HD movies either.

I have used ubuntu and debian on my lappy successfully and i know how to make everything work, but still i am using windows 7, because
1. it is damn stable, even more than vista
2. Microsoft outlook- i am so addicted to outlook that i cannot settle for anything less,without it, it feels empty, it feels as if something is lacking,it gets boring.

I love outlook.
Everyone is surprised when i tell them i m not using linux at any of my computers and yet i have to look after 20+ linux servers on my job.
This is what outlook has done to me. :P

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

For Real

Post by lilrofl »

You like outlook better then Thunderbird... for real?

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Re: For Real

Post by pseudo_opcode »

lilrofl wrote:You like outlook better then Thunderbird... for real?
For how many years have you used outlook?
Which was the last version you used?
And do not mean outlook express, i mean microsoft outlook, that comes with office.

Regarding my experience, i have always used Thunderbird, but an year ago, i had to use outlook at work, since then i m an outlook fan.

So much that i was inspired to switch to outlook at my home.

here

i have smudged the image for privacy of friends and associates, and save them from penis enlargement pills vendors

Outlook has features, thunderbird cant even imagine, i would love to list all of them, but there are too many of them.

Add all the plugins to thunderbird, and still outlook would be more useful..