Kororaa

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
sternbildchen
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Kororaa

Post by sternbildchen »

Hey what do u think about the Kororaa Live CD ?

I want to try it out tomorrow. Maybe u already know something about it ?

( http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060318-181203 )

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wow, xgl desktop... 8O very interesting, when you have tested it let us know what you think about it! :)

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

ok :D
But maybe there could be problems with my ATI Card ...
We will see.

/edit:

Hey i Like it ^^ Rotating Desktops huh!. But i have some little questions about linux ...

1) What is XGL exactly ^^
2) Can i use exe's or Games that work under Windows on Linux ?
3) Can Linux open Word documents?
4) Can i install f.e Windows Word ? OR doesn'T this work ?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

1. xgl is a technology which uses the GPU (processor of the graphics card) for the desktop effects, so the ressources of the CPU (main processor) stay free.
2. nope, not per default, but many apps are already available for Linux already. if you really want to use windows apps on Linux you have to use an emulator or setup a virtual machine, check for "wine" and "VMware" for example (with wine you can run windows apps on Linux and it´s free, VMware is a commercial product with which you can setup virtual machines).
3. yep! (see 4 for details)
4. no need to use Word on Linux, most Linux distros include the Open Office package which has the same functionality as Word (but it´s free).
if Open Office isn´t included check here: http://www.openoffice.org/

:wink:

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

does an emulator slow games like hl2 down ?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes, definitly. but how much depends on your hardware, if you have a real fast system you´ll maybe not even notice it. I think Wine would slow down your system not as much as a full virtual machine like on VMware. but if you have some space on your HDD set up both OSs (Linux and win), would be the best solution imo... :wink:

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

http://www.winehq.org/site/download

which to download for Kororaa?

/edit: And:

1)When i have Windows and Linux installed on a Maschine can I use the "Windows Data Trees" in Linux. F.E Browse to the file that are on my windows desktop?

2) How to install things on Linux?

3) Is there AV or Firewalls for Linux?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

1. Yes, you can access the files you have on your windows partition.

2. On linux, installing things varies a bit, but it's not very complicated.

3. Yes. Though linux doesn't need an antivirus really, there aren't many viruses out for it that i know of.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

1) Is this feature included ? Or do i need to install a differend software ?

2) Hm ok. But can you make an example plz. :D

Im really playing with the idea of changing to Linux oder a Linux/Windows Combo.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You can browse the windows file tree's just like you can linux. It comes with all linux distros.

As for installation, sometimes you have to type something like 'unpack file.bin' or 'install file.bin media:/hda1/path/to/folder' or something similar. I haven't used linux much, but that's the basic idea. I'm sure someone else can tell you more about installing stuff. (some stuff you have to compile, too)

PS: Get on irc? Server: fatalh.sytes.net Channel: #suck-o

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

Und die Daten aus der Windows-Installation, wie kann man darauf zugreifen? Solange die Windows-Partitionen FAT16 (DOS, Windows 95) oder FAT32 (Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/XP) als Dateisystem benutzen, hat man auch unter Linux vollen Zugriff auf diese Partitionen. Meist werden entsprechene Verküpfungen schon bei der Linux-Installation angelegt, so daß sie bei Bedarf sofort zur Verfügung stehen. Und die bekannten Distributionen bringen Tools mit, mit denen vor der Linux-Installation die FAT-Partitionen verkleinert werden können, um Platz für Linux zu schaffen. Problematisch wird es bei NTFS-Partitionen, wie sie von Windows NT4, 2000 Pro und XP angelegt werden können. Es gibt die Möglichkeit des lesenden Zugriffs, die derzeitigen Lösungen zum schreibenden Zugriff von Linux aus auf NTFS-Partitionen ist bestenfalls experimentell zu nennen. Liegt auch hier nicht an Linux, eine gewisse Firma, die mit winzigen Weichlingen handelt, lässt sich bei NTFS nur ungern in die Karten sehen. Wem was an seinen Daten liegt, der sollte auf derartige Experimente verzichten und lieber eine zusätzliche FAT32-formatierte Partition einrichten, die von beiden Betriebssystemen les- und schreibbar ist.
There stands that Linux can only read Fat16/32 Disks. But the text is 6 years old ^^.

Hm i think i re install IRC. :)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, if i remember correctly, NTFS came out just around y2k, so that was probably why. Anyways, linux has read my ntfs file system, so i assure you, it's possible.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

at the beginning I had Redhat9 and XP on my box, and it was possible to read NTFS from Linux. but XP can´t read Linux filesystems, so if you want to swap files between XP and Linux you have to setup a FAT partition (but imo it´s not neccessary for a beginner).

about Wine:
seems you have to download the source and compile it by yourself because there is no binary for Gentoo available (Kororaa is based on Gentoo), installing from source is usually done this way:
check the files if there´s one name "configure", if yes type

Code: Select all

./configure
"./" starts a program/script on Linux
then:

./make install
if no errors appear it´s done.

binaries can be installed with rpm for example:

rpm -i <path to rpm-file>
it´s too much to explain in one post, but a good source for infos are the man-files on Linux, if you don´t know how to use a command simply type

man command
and it´ll display the manual, for example:

man ping
will display the manual for the ping-command.
:wink:

and yeah, would be nice to see you on IRC... :)

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

ok im in the channel :D

Another two Questions:

what does the emerge command do?
Are the commands different on every distro?

I think if i have Wndows/Linux i will use Fat. Because i want to uns Linux for surfing and work and Windows only for Games.
Is there any differnce between Fat and NTFS?

$edit: Plan:

1. Start from Windows CD.
2.Del all partitions
3.Create 2Big Fat32 Partitions#
4. Install on Partiton A Windows XP
5. Install everything for XP
6. Start with the Kororaa Live CD
7. Use the Installer
8. Install on the Partion B (is this possible? F.e c:/ is windows d:/ linux ...
I'm sure this is wrong i read something that Linux doesn't use Partions...)
9. Then at bootup i can choose between Linux and XP

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Quoting http://www.theeldergeek.com/ntfs_or_fat ... system.htm

Which File System to Choose?

As much as everyone would like for there to be a stock answer to the selection question, there isn't. Different situations and needs will play a large role in the decision of which file system to adopt. There isn't any argument that NTFS offers better security and reliability. Some also say that NTFS is more flexible, but that can get rather subjective depending on the situation and work habits, whereas NTFS superiority in security and reliability is seldom challenged. Listed below are some of the most common factors to consider when deciding between FAT32 and NTFS.

Security

FAT32 provides very little security. A user with access to a drive using FAT32 has access to the files on that drive.

NTFS allows the use of NTFS Permissions. It's much more difficult to implement, but folder and file access can be controlled individually, down to an an extreme degree if necessary. The down side of using NTFS Permissions is the chance for error and screwing up the system is greatly magnified.

Windows XP Professional supports file encryption.

Compatibility

NTFS volumes are not recognized by Windows 95/98/Me. This is only a concern when the system is set up for dual or multi-booting. FAT32 must be be used for any drives that must be accessed when the computer is booted from Windows 95/98 or Windows Me.

An additional note to the previous statement. Users on the network have access to shared folders no matter what disk format is being used or what version of Windows is installed.

FAT and FAT32 volumes can be converted to NTFS volumes. NTFS cannot be converted to FAT32 without reformatting.

Space Efficiency

NTFS supports disk quotas, allowing you to control the amount of disk usage on a per user basis.

NTFS supports file compression. FAT32 does not.

How a volume manages data is outside the scope of this article, but once you pass the 8GB partition size, NTFS handles space management much more efficiently than FAT32. Cluster sizes play an important part in how much disk space is wasted storing files. NTFS provides smaller cluster sizes and less disk space waste than FAT32.

In Windows XP, the maximum partition size that can be created using FAT32 is 32GB. This increases to 16TB (terabytes) using NTFS. There is a workaround for the 32GB limitation under FAT32, but it is a nuisance especially considering the size of drives currently being manufactured.

Reliability

FAT32 drives are much more susceptible to disk errors.

NTFS volumes have the ability to recover from errors more readily than similar FAT32 volumes.

Log files are created under NTFS which can be used for automatic file system repairs.

NTFS supports dynamic cluster remapping for bad sectors and prevent them from being used in the future.